my 68 delux

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that as well, looks a good deal, and probably worth doing before the summer gets here.

Barkafer said:
Coool graphics Matt. Have you had her running yet? give her a good service and treat her to a new set of points n condenser, plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor and maybe a coil. you know it makes sense :D
and put some petrol in too ;) i hear these things like petrol :lol:
oh, and new fuel lines and clean the tank out if she's been standing a long time :)

cheers dude

sort of,needs a damn good service n the carbs blocked up to hell so need to clean that down too.
how do i drain and clean the tank on a bay,ive only had bugs before n it was easy with them.lol

shes going to the welders next wednesday and all panels are on order so were gettin there.
cheers for the link to that bulk offer too,might just have to get that.
everything works fine,its just severly blocked up so doesnt always fire coz of fuel delivery.

Mate, you will have to drop the motor out and remove the panel behind it to reveal the tank. Take the strap off, sender wire and the the filler pipe and slide it out. You may need to remove the 'L' shaped pipe at the bottom too as it gets in the way.
I got to do mine as the sender doesn't work :roll:

Hey Bud,
it's Darren out here in San Diego.
Lee sent me a link to your pictures, the bus is looking nice! Glad everything worked out, you may not need to pull the tank as it wasn't sitting for that long, but change out ALL the fuel lines, add a couple of fuel filters to see what's going through the lines, and rebuild/swap out the carb, it may just be all adjusted funky as it was running in the high altitude of Colorado.
The graphics look nice, I'm glad it went to a good home.
Cheers!

Gods Good said:
Hey Bud,
it's Darren out here in San Diego.
Lee sent me a link to your pictures, the bus is looking nice! Glad everything worked out, you may not need to pull the tank as it wasn't sitting for that long, but change out ALL the fuel lines, add a couple of fuel filters to see what's going through the lines, and rebuild/swap out the carb, it may just be all adjusted funky as it was running in the high altitude of Colorado.
The graphics look nice, I'm glad it went to a good home.
Cheers!
Hey man.
She seemed to splutter when I tryed firing her up.I've replaced the fuel lines.but there is a blockage somewhere because the jet on the carb isn't spraying anything even if I fill the float chamber.
Took her through to the welders today so were on the way there.lol
Cheers dude,she's getting well looked after.trust me,thanks so much for selling me her.
She's awesome.

Nice lookin bus dude :)
Does she fire up at all? If it's been in high altitudes it may be adjustments are way out for were the bus is now... If she fires up at all an can be kept running use some carb cleaner or a rag Over the carb while revving at a 2k ish may sort the blockage out if it was running close to being sent over, or could be the diaphragm has a slit in it.
Anyway hope you get it sorted an on the road soon you'll love the joys of camper ownership an your in the right place for any help or advice :)

jacks906 said:
Nice lookin bus dude :)
Does she fire up at all? If it's been in high altitudes it may be adjustments are way out for were the bus is now... If she fires up at all an can be kept running use some carb cleaner or a rag Over the carb while revving at a 2k ish may sort the blockage out if it was running close to being sent over, or could be the diaphragm has a slit in it.
Anyway hope you get it sorted an on the road soon you'll love the joys of camper ownership an your in the right place for any help or advice :)

Thanks man.
She doesn't fire up just splutters,like it's struggling to fire.
What Is the standard settings for a carb? I'm gonna clean the carb out anyway.
Cheers man,I can't wait to drive her n get to some shows.

try tipping a small amount of petrol down the carb (talking about 5ml) and it should fire up, but if its still just coughing and spluttering you may find the ignition timings out,

its best to get the haynes manual and just go over the engine with a fine tooth comb to just check everything over, i found an engine in a barn had been sat there for 20+ years and bar fresh oil and fuel it fired straight up similar story with a beetle that had been stood for 8 years. so chances are if it ran when it was last used she'll run again just a little fiddling to get her there :)

dave

Same here, I just started one up that was stood for 10 years.

I did not fill the tank, but connected a new pipe between pump & carb. Then put a pipe straight from a fuel can into the pump, guaranteed clean fuel. Started after 30 secs of cranking, I had fitted new plugs.

iiiiiits update time

made some good progress so far.
the whole lower front is off,O/S cabstep is in,lower front inner panel is tacked in and the N/S cabstep is mostly cut out

my camera played up when i was trying to take photos so only got pics up to when we tacked the cabstep in.

anyway piccys

1stly the rusty bits
DSCF1691.jpg

DSCF1692.jpg

DSCF1693.jpg

DSCF1698.jpg

DSCF1695.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

check out the filler on that inner arch. :shock:
one cabstep out
DSCF1697.jpg

and a new one in
DSCF1703.jpg

and thats as far as i got until the camera decided it wanted to be a doorstop. :lol:

more to come

stay tuned

Cracking looking Delux 8)

But...was this step like this when you bought it?
DSCF1697.jpg

Because if not, your welder/repairer needs to be a little more sympathetic, there's a real danger of losing the best of the patina if every rust repair isn't approached with more thought and care.

Just my opinion :oops:

Cheers moler
The step was pretty haggard and the black marker lines were already there

Ok
Massively overdue update time
Main thing is I get her back in 2 week fingers,toes n other appendages crossed.
We found the inner sill was gone on Ths Nearside so were just in the middle of doing that.
But what's finished is as follows
Front done and solid,that's both steps,floor,lower valence inner n outer,offside inner arch,both front jacking points.
All in seamsealer.:D

Still a big to do list mind
Rear jacking points need finishing,the Nearside inner sill,outer sill.and a small part of the rear arch.
Then I've got my electrics to tackle and the engine to get running propely. :lol:

Pics will be uploaded asap

Peace out for now

ok heres the pics as promised

5a04181f.jpg

f9ae2651.jpg

80b82c91.jpg

929c0dbd.jpg

01b785f6.jpg

610aa6b6.jpg

70c6afa0.jpg

sorry for the quality of pictures,took em on my fone.
il get some better pics when im down there again.
bit more has been done but not much

peace out people

ok i havent updated this in a while but alot has happened since last time so il try n keep it smallish.haha

1stly SHE'S BACK HOME!!!!
picked her up last wednesday and i really am chuffed with the work the guys have done.
she now 99.9% solid,drivers side arch outer skin and the lower windscreen panels are gonna need to be done at somepoint but shes solid enough for an MOT

anyway picssssss

floors in primer
DSCF2258.jpg

DSCF2257.jpg

sure it looks sketchy but i cant afford a complete rear corner yet.haha
DSCF2255.jpg

all the underside and front inner arches have all ben shutzed.it looks awesome,and should keep the uk weather demons away for a while.haha
DSCF2253.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

look how its all formed to the floor ribs.:D
929c0dbd.jpg

inside really needs cleaning out,dust central!
DSCF2256.jpg

DSCF2259.jpg

and just a couple of general shots as the weather was ok,fitted some headlamp grills.
DSCF2250.jpg

DSCF2251.jpg

DSCF2260.jpg

jobs left to do:-

colour match all the primered bits
fit rear bumper and front bumper properly.
clean the interior thoroughly
get the engine running
wire up the rear end to be uk spec,tips on how to do this would be really helpful.
fit new ball joint boots and new a cv boot,tips on how to do these greatly appreciated too
wire up the horn
get some new tyres

then its MOT time.i cant wait even though i am bricking it.haha
overall tho im a very very happy chappy

peace out
matt

Latest posts