My bus - 71 Chianti

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice tidy looking bus there, but they all are till you start actually looking for rust and filler :)

Good luck with the rebuild

In the near future, once all the welding is done I'm gonna have to decide on what to do about the paint. According to my paint codes the bus would have originally been solid Chianti with pastel white roof only. What do you think? Should I ditch the two tone or stick with it?

Any suggestions?

Nugsy said:
Nice tidy looking bus there, but they all are till you start actually looking for rust and filler :)

Good luck with the rebuild

Thanks Nugsy, you are soooooo right! Yep it is all stripped down at the moment and can hardly recognize it as the same bus! To be fair it isn't too bad but has certainly been more work that we expected. The underseal sure hides a multitude of sins, not too mention hideous repairs over the years! But the restorers are doing a great job. Replacing all the rubbish with new panels and it is coming together really well.

Humphrey said:
In the near future, once all the welding is done I'm gonna have to decide on what to do about the paint. According to my paint codes the bus would have originally been solid Chianti with pastel white roof only. What do you think? Should I ditch the two tone or stick with it?

Any suggestions?

Definately stick with the two tone. Give it forty years and it could look like this :lol:
DSC00014.jpg

Lovely lookin Bus. I like the rims too, thinking about a set for mine.

Good luck with the resto and hope you get it on the road soon :D

my ideal colour scheme is chanti red with white roof,so thats what I'd like to see it in. I think there are loads of late bays with the two tone thing,so its nice to see the white roof thing every so often - especially where it should be - on an early ! ;)

Doris said:
my ideal colour scheme is chanti red with white roof,so thats what I'd like to see it in. I think there are loads of late bays with the two tone thing,so its nice to see the white roof thing every so often - especially where it should be - on an early ! ;)

Thanks for the feed back all!

So was the single colour with white roof an EB thing with two tone only on late bays (originally)?

Humphrey said:
Doris said:

Thanks for the feed back all!

So was the single colour with white roof an EB thing with two tone only on late bays (originally)?

iirc - * technically* 68-70 buses were painted all the way to the roof with deluxes having a white roof.
'71 > could be painted up to the beltline and the rest white. happy to be corrected though. its actually academic with yours being a 71 ;) but I love white roof & chianti !!! 8)

Barkafer said:
Humphrey said:

Any suggestions?

Definately stick with the two tone. Give it forty years and it could look like this :lol:
DSC00014.jpg

Lovely lookin Bus. I like the rims too, thinking about a set for mine.

Man that looks sweet, but in 42 years I'll be >70!!! Man that's just depressing!

Hi all, figured it was time for an update. The bus is back on the road after the restoration and is looking great! We just got back from doing 3500 miles around Europe and had an awesome time, the poor little 1600 is on it's last legs now though so looking forward to getting my new engine in February! But anyway, here's a few pics of the trip (and the bus).

Very Nice :D

Sounds like a good trip around Europe, thats on our list of things to do.................

For sure...has to be done and not as scary as I thought it would be :) We drove to Brugge, down into France to a little town called Eperney, then across to Switzerland where we stayed at Interlaken (awesome!), then drove to Lugern (also beautiful!!!) and then into Italy where we spend two weeks in the Riviera, than back into France, Monaco, Lake Annecy, Paris...was fantastic - do it!

Sounds like a great trip and glad you had no issues :D

Any chance of anymore holiday snaps :mrgreen:

sounds like you had fun though :lol:

get some pics up soon ;)

chris

Sounds like you got off lightly - especially if the in-laws are along for the ride ;)

Latest posts