My fuel gauge needle flickers back and forwards between empty and it's current fuel level ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I fitted a new tank sender when my motor was out and have found that the needle on the dash display flicks back and forwards and sometime when you initially turn the ignition on it doesn't move until you start the engine .would it be a faulty gauge??
I did the check where you turn the ignition on and ground the wire from the gauge in the engine bay and the needle When across to full ,so no worries with power. Any ideas or remedies

I would of thought it would be the wire which connects into the back of the guage. Mine would do this and it was because of the plastic connector being broken. Remove the guage and or fiddle with the wire and you will soon find out! I think I had to wrap mine in tape to get it to work.

I unscrewed the dash panel and wiggled the two wires going to the spades on the back and that did nothing .I assum you mean wires inside the pod itself ?

no, it was these. What's the connection like where the wire comes out of the fire wall?

Mine does the same thing, I've just had a complete new wiring loom and a new sender and it still flickers. I've ordered a voltage stabiliser to fit to the back of the gauge, might work , might not. Don't really know what else to try.

I've just had a new loom and sender aswel and mine does it I put it down to just being a 47 year old gauge.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

harper1980 said:
I've just had a new loom and sender aswel and mine does it I put it down to just being a 47 year old gauge.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Well that was what I thought, so I've also got a new gauge! 😂

Robcod said:
no, it was these. What's the connection like where the wire comes out of the fire wall?

The wire is fine coming out the fire wall .Judgng from what the other guys have just said I might be stuck with the flappy gauge needle although I would be interested in knowing what the outcome is with the voltage staberlizer .Let me know please as it's the last thing I will try .

I've ordered a cheap stabiliser from eBay for around £4, as they are £30ish from the usual suspects, not even sure if they are compatible with my gauge but as I've got two I'll risk killing one. I'll update as soon as it arrives.

Latest posts