My ratty 69 bay resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajpepe72

Reaction score
Starting a new thread for this as the old one Photobucket links are now dead due to Photobucket being greedy :)
Anyway, I bought my bay last year, it was mot'd so drove it home (which was an experience), started having a proper dig about and the previous repairs are shocking so going to be a long term project this to get it right and return it back to its original panel van status.
Having taken the passenger side apart before Christmas I've now had it bought to my house from my storage unit so I can crack on with it.

As bought and bodges discovered :

Bits done to date, fabricated part for rear corner and chopped pretty much all the passenger side out :

Great project! I hope you paid the right price for the bus.... classic 90s bodges of sticking panels over panels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably paid more than I should, 5k but it had new mot and I drove it 40 miles home fine. Was just going to run it as is for bit but then thought id just get stuck into it.
Chassis is solid so it looks fairly easy stuff to sort.

First time I've ever worked on a bay, I can weld though which should save me a bit of cash, just hope I can do her justice.

Small section of chassis that needed sorting just in front of front jacking point. Got to form the underside section then hopefully that's it for chassis legs.
Also noticed while under there that front crossmember has been welded over the old rusty one...not at all surprised !

Nice to see another 69 panel being worked on. Yours is a couple of weeks older than mine!
keep up the good work.

Jay

Cheers, wife would rather keep the windows but they just don't look right cut into a panel van so think returning it to a panel van is the best option.
I've ordered a load of box section to build a roll over jig, cutting and welding on my back is not for me I've quickly decided !

I know the feeling, a bloke local to me makes the roll over jigs and makes the brackets for your vehicle.
Ive ordered one he's delivering and fitting it on Saturday il take some pics and post them on here if its any help?

Jay

Im using the red wing steelworks plans for my jig, I want it sturdy so have got 50 and 60mm box section and am going to build it so I can adjust it either by hydraulic rams or threaded bar.
http://redwingsteelworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Red-Wing-Steel-Works-Auto-Rotisserie-Plans-01022015.pdf

Hectic few months at work so nothing done,but bit of time off over Christmas so made a start on making the rotisserie, one end pretty much complete, waiting on steel to complete other end then just the body mount brackets to make and strip off the running gear from bus.
C47_AE02_C_D0_A4_4244_B18_F_32_D6_B6161_E9_E.jpg

21_BF84_B3_D47_F_42_F2_B829_F67_BDBAF9041.jpg

Also got tank out, nice and clean in there.
73_AA3_F1_F_CFEF_44_BA_B3_E7_458653_F920_F6.jpg

Latest posts