My rotty 69 bay restoration.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajpepe72

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a progress thread to keep track of my work, I've done plenty of bodywork and painting before but no fabrication as such so this is new territory for me.

The rust bucket.

The underneath is pretty solid but started uncovering the previous owners "repairs" when I got it home.

And some quality bottom a pillar repairs !!

Bottom edge of windscreen.

Panel was only tacked on and welds not even ground flat,no wonder it had so much filler. On the plus side the original metal underneath is good down to a point :)

Had my first go at fabrication today, thought I'd pick one of the trickiest bits,thought if I could do this then the rest shouldn't be too bad.

Once I've tacked it in I'll work it a bit to make sure all edges are flush.
Plenty steel left for rest of the bus :)

Removed the tacked on near side wing and cut the original back nice and straight to check the inner sill etc,all pretty solid,a little repair to do on the bottom of the c pillar and a bit of arch lip to replace.

A bit of a discussion going on in our house as to what to do with regard to the Windows ?

Originally a panel van it's had windows fitted that look absolutely pants,they don't even fill the panels.

I'm all for turning it back into a panel van,wife wants to keep the Windows, baring in mind this bus is really a toy for me I'm leaning towards loosing the Windows (we have a t4 camper to go camping)

Opinions ?

Hi mate,

That panel you've fabricated looks immense, how'd you do that ?

As for the windows, think I agree with you take it back to a panel van probably easier than trying to sort them.

Haha, cheers, I was well surprised how well it came out. I made it using a hammer and the bit of wood you see on the floor.
I thought to myself, if I can knock that section up satisfactorarily then any other bits I come across should be a breeze.
I made the front,using a rubber mallet to get the curve,then I made the return separate and then welded them together.

Latest posts