Mystery 69 RHD Westfalia

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

recently been looking into a 1969 Westy - but its an original RHD ...

Its spec is very similar to your typical US earlybay westy - reversing lights, factory fitted Eberspecher heater, factory air fans under dash, etc.,but it has the early Westy snall poptop, and strangely a speedo in KPH...

its a weird one as the destination code on the M-plate is '09' which is Bremen, Germany ...for a RHD ??

still looking into it with the chap who's selling it (it does need a lot of welding unfortuntately) but if anyone's got anything else to add ...

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

Perhaps the original owner was in the Forces and posted in Germany - if they knew they'd be returning to the UK/Australia then it would make sense to order a RHD bus.
;)

yep - I think thats the best guess so far .. that also fits in with the fact it was originally first reg. in 1972 in the UK (even though its a 69 - since gone back on to age-related plates)

Justin & Mutley said:
Perhaps the original owner was in the Forces and posted in Germany - if they knew they'd be returning to the UK/Australia then it would make sense to order a RHD bus.
;)

thats what i was thinking, wasnt there a code on the m plate for this?

weve decoded all the M-codes, so built as as RHD, delivered to Bremen, but the other wierd one is the build date code (top left on the plate) - this one has a 'K01' - an unknown build date code - Vincent Molenaar has only seen it once on another van and that was a German fire brigade Kombi ...

also no code for an MPH speedo ...

What a puzzle! looking forward to hearing the results as they unfold 8)

I looked at all the m codes for mine and there was only a couple that could be accounted for the rest were unknown?! :(

Services owner would make the most sense.
I think the 'different' delivery code only covered the tourist collection programme, so this wouldnt fit that ilk so easily.
Its deffo the Euro spec Westy conversion, and an interesting example. Dare I say it, it makes a nice change to see something different from that period?

it certainly does - it just needs to someone to save it now !

the welding required looks pretty serious, but do-able, and the worst thing would be to break it for parts ...

Latest posts