Naive Newbie! - Rust/Welding -opinions gratefully received!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy

Reaction score
Hey there all,
Just got a '71 Danbury, as it's been in the UK all it's life, I was prepared for rust inevitability to be pretty high!

Checked under the carpet over the rear wheel arches and there were a couple of bubbles there, so decided to strip out the original interior (carefully of course! - it's going back in!), obviously this has never been done before and under the lino, nearside (where the sliding door possibly let rain in?) the hardboard was just rotten and some water trapped here - little worrying but when i got it all out and cleaned off the black and green mould, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated (I'm guessing the plates on the floor would be there for the seats of the VW minibus)
P1010175.jpg

P1010173.jpg

Other places which need welding are at bottom of rear wheel arch nearside, and along back panel next to rear wheel arch offside:
P1010172.jpg

P1010171.jpg

Worst part on the body work is at the back around the door:
P1010179.jpg

and I'm a bit concerned about a bit on the dash top passenger side - water must be getting in here, so I guess new rubber might be needed here, not easy to get to without windscreen out eh?:
P1010189.jpg

It's going to be a great project! Haven't got the wire brush out yet - it doesn't look as bad in real life!
Could weld this myself, but prefer to get someone who knows more about what they are doing, experienced in repairing these - can anyone recommend anyone in my area - North Essex/Suffolk? Cheers!
Any other advice from anyone (eg filler, paint, parts, - what to use and where to get them, etc) gratefully received! Thanks very much!

hi and welcome, i can not personally vouch for there work as i have not had any done, but i have not heard a bad word said about them is "simpson aircooled" they are based on a farm about 15 miles north of ipswich, also , again i have not used them but not heard a bad word said about them there is "the bus barn" i think near sudbury both have got websites, i suggest looking them up and see what they say.

as you are new thought you may be interested in a club, http://www.suffolkbugrs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all the best
Dave

theres a couple id reckomend in Essex

Elite Bodystyling , Nr Stansted (did my paint , and loads of jobs on my buses)

and Dubs By Dan in Braintree (recomended by splitterz my local club)

Hi there guys - thanks for the responses :D
Slammedresto - I'm not too far from Braintree so I'll check them out
Dave - I've heard about the bus barn too, i'll have a look at those websites
Checked out your Suffolk club there - hope to see you at Stonham Barns!

Anyone know if you can take the dash top out without taking the rest of the dash out? I've looked in the Haynes manual, but can't find anything about it...
:?

Lucy said:
Anyone know if you can take the dash top out without taking the rest of the dash out? I've looked in the Haynes manual, but can't find anything about it...

I believe you can if you remove the padded section along the top edge.

Regarding your bodywork - are you sure the areas you have highlighted are the only areas that need sorting? I would double check any previous repairs and make sure they are still solid, the bit around the rear door already looks to have some filler in it? . UK RHD buses have a pretty hard life & if the areas you have highlighted have gone I'm sure there are bound to be others. Sorry not trying to p!ss on your fireworks, just better to get it all sorted now ;)

Hi Loxy,
Cheers for that...Yep, have pics of when it was previously repaired behind front bumper, around rear window, and bottom battery corner- loads of filler there - that needs looking at again too...agree absolutely - want to get it all sorted now!

If your happy to drift a little further..... I'd recommend Steve at Pro Coat in Norwich on 01603485251

If you follow the link below you can see his work.

Hope to see you at Alive and Dubbin.

Lucy said:

yeah its damned fiddley though, it may be worthwhile just pulling the lot forward then removing the top and refitting the rest....

Araon said:
Lucy said:

yeah its damned fiddley though, it may be worthwhile just pulling the lot forward then removing the top and refitting the rest....

I have no mechanical experience whatsoever other than now having one years expereince of owning a VW van! I took the dash top out after reading a thread or two on here - removed the glove box, removed the instrument pod, remove screws inside windscreen, then removed 8 nuts holding padded dash edge on (the end two are a bit of a stretch to reach but my fat hands made it!) ease the padded dash section forward, I found it stuck a bit round the handle area, then Robert's your mother's brother!

I didn't try taking the main dash out, so can't comment if thats any easier but I'm not a fan of electrics so didn't want to delve into that whole birds nest!

Taking the whole dash out isn't a fun job at all.

Looking at the photo you might be due for a new windscreen rubber. Make sure you get a good quality one as it will save a lot of hassle. Some of the suppliers seem to be a bit hit and miss with what they sent out but we usually get decent ones from schofields.

It'll make getting the dash top out easier with the windscreen removed, or alternativly, with the windscreen out and some careful masking up you'll be able to repaint the dash top in situ.

The bad news is the bottom corners of windscreens are common for rotting out. The water gets in and goes down and rots out the inner and outer lower front panel. You mentioned this has been repaired so in my experience I'd say you'll find some holes if you take the screen out.

However, if the rubber looks fresh and is still soft it might have been repaired and they just didn't bother painting the dash top.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :D
My window fell into the door today when I wound it down, metal piece at bottom of window inside rusted and detached itself! Haha! Where do I get that from?! Secondhand? Or will I have to make one?
It's propped up shut with a couple of pieces of wood now inside the door, door panel is actually fine inside though.

The lower dash - near the windscreen is the hardest piece to remove, make sure you are comfortable with a screwdriver so close to the front windscreen.

Suggest that you spray loads of wd40 on and leave them overnight.
It took me a while to get the last screw out.

Think there are eight screws right next to the windscreen on the lower dash (metal piece).
Possibly the same amount of knuts on the upper dash (padded piece).

It will be much easier to remove both the knuts and screws if you first remove the glovebox and instrument panel, this gives better access to the screws and knuts etc...

Latest posts