Need a new helmet for welding - which one?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
So - my welding helmet (oh err missus..) has totally died now so need a new one and just wondering if their is one I should be going for.
Want an auto dimming unit and don't want to spend silly money (does £50 sound fair?). So what should I be getting?

That`s about what I paid for one but I would consider a second hand one. Got chatting on the forum to someone years ago and that someone worked for a large company that did a lot of welding and periodically they had to bin all their helmets and replace with new so I got a really good helmet for free, and it was a bit better but not much to my £40 or £50 helmet. It`s black with red and yellow flames all over it hot rod style. Might be worth asking around for . :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Came with a carry bag too :mrgreen:

Hmm - not a bad idea as there are a few engineering sites near where I work!

I've got a cracking auto mask from ebay, 191269579185 had it about 2 years.
I also have a £200 3m mask at work and for its purpose they are as good as each other. My welder who's been at it for nearly 50 years even bought a couple of cheap ones, as he was impressed with the grind function. Even though I've never seen him wear safety gogggles!

Mines from ebay auto darkening and works perfect if I was to spend £50 on one it would be too much in my opinion but then I wouldn't pay too much for a shirt cos it has a crocodile on it

radish said:
I've got a cracking auto mask from ebay, 191269579185 had it about 2 years.
I also have a £200 3m mask at work and for its purpose they are as good as each other. My welder who's been at it for nearly 50 years even bought a couple of cheap ones, as he was impressed with the grind function. Even though I've never seen him wear safety gogggles!

Bought one :)
£30 so hope it will be good - for grinding, I use googles so no bigger that this helmet has the feature :)

Cheers everyone for you input so far.

I got myself an Esab Warrior, some great advice I got years ago was but a well known brand that offers the best vision. A lot of the cheaper brands have a very small viewing panel... think these come in at around £70 ish

http://www.esab.co.uk/gb/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=451029

Avoid cheap Chinese ones ..3M speed glass are decent .i use a couple at work , a Miller and an air fed 3M speed glass

Latest posts