New Aircooled Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
YAMAHA LB 50 CHAPPY
Had this a few years now and ride it regular around town and at the more laid back VW shows. I got it from a bloke in Devon who claims it came to the UK with the Renault F1 team back in the 80s as a pit bike. I started a few bits on it last year but the Bus resto took over my time and money so it went on hold looking no different but for a new kick start, re painted exhaust and some new foot pegs. Bought a stripped down box of bits of ebay aswell for some spares and moved them on to another desperate Chappy builder in the Midlands when id had what i wanted.

4Chappy.jpg

24Exhaust.jpg

Also painted the engine cover but might have a change of plan on that.

From this
18LHCover.jpg

To this
19LHCover.jpg

Well its now stripped down to a couple of boxes of bits and a frame and engine. Ive got some plans for a new colour and make over.
Parts for these are quite hard to find and although some service parts are still available from Yamaha, parts like fork legs are over £150 :shock: So it looks like ebay Thailand is the place to look. (they seemed very popular over their)

Ordered a few parts from an old Motorbike shop from where i grew up, and Monkey Bike UK will also be getting a ring but not alot from the Honda range will fit.
Will be taking the frame and wheels into work with me to strip and paint (Nitromours and rattle can) and will rebuild the engine and brakes along the way.
Keep em peeled for more updates................not to many as that will give the colour away.

WANTED........CHAPPY SPARES OR COMPLETE BIKES...........CASH WAITING.

Been on the lathe today and sharpened up some bolts for the wheels. (details)
The frame and wheels are now stripped, etch primed x3 and top coated and clear coated. Wont spoil the final build pictures by showing the colour. Its looking good at the moment but these things always do until you start building them up again when they start to look cluttered.
NOS fork tubes arrived from Thailand according to the wife and some other parts should be here this week ready for my return next week.
Engine will need a strip, clean and a head/piston rebuild while ive got it apart. Id already started on the engine cases but a change of plan means they need re doing.

59Bolts.jpg

The bearing races are all polished and the head stock and triple tree all back together and nicely greased. Restored some old bits and took delivery of some new. Ive managed to get some similar rear shocks but need to put some different bushes in as they are the incorrect size.
Got some new fork legs to replace the pitted ones but cant seem to get the old ones apart???? :shock: :shock:

Still got some parts down the powder coaters and ive rattle canned the swinging arm. (couldnt risk powder coating as i dont know if the bushes would melt and i cant get spares)
The wheels are back together (split rims) but need to rebuild and replace the hubs/drums next to get in up on two wheels again.

With the present weather im begining to wish i hadnt stripped it down yet as my resto deadline is not until VW Action in Cornwall next year.
Plenty of time to rebuild, re bore the engine.........................80cc i think. ;)

BLOODY FORKS........................ STILL WONT SHIFT. :evil:

Put a few bits back today, rear shocks, swing arm, oil res,

Spent most of the afternoon cleaning parts. Oil res, fuel tank, engine etc and painted the engine cases and afew small parts.
Started work on the wheel hubs/brakes as well and will be collecting new pads, drive chain and cogs next week when i visit Derbyshire.
Think ive got all the parts i need to put it back together now so its just a case of cleaning and detailing everything and putting it back together.

Need to source a new head and piston but thats easier to work on when its stood on its wheels with the engine in the frame.

78DirtyEngine.jpg

86CleanEngine.jpg

55Frame.jpg

68TripleTree.jpg

18LHCover-1.jpg

19LHCover-1.jpg

21RHCover.jpg

85EngineCases.jpg

I like the DAX as well. Bit rich for me, although parts are alot easier to find than for the Chappy.

After alot of stress with the forks (they will be coming apart for the last time tomorrow, honest) and even more stress with the engine casing bolts...........spent far to long swearing at them and finally today while sat doing nothing i decided enough was enough so shot into the garagre and would you belive it they are off. Must be some kind of focus i found.
Anyway its sat on the bench for too long now and i hope to have it finished in the next few weeks all being well........new focus.
I have got another toy which means ive lost some momentum. Not no more so watch this space.

Hopefully get this up and running this week (fingers crossed) Will then put up some build pictures and the final finished bike.
Not long now. (hopefully) :roll: ;)

Latest posts