New Arrival

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlestHobo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well I took the plunge and this morning my 72 high top arrived!!

I want to add some pictures but can't work out how...

I also wanted to know a bit more about its history, I see from its VIN (232) that it was a Kombi.

Would it of been a High Top originally? also it has a bench at the front rather than the two seats.

Its been very nicely pimped but for my taste I want to try and bring the interior back to possibly what it was before, but I need to know more about it. What type of interiors did a van with a bench have? and who made them?

I'll upload some pics as soon as I can figure out how to!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maybe tomorrow i'll choose to settle down ..... maybe tomorrow I'll just keep moving on. :D

and every step i take....

some pics as promised...

11-2.jpg

11-3.jpg

11-4.jpg

11-5.jpg

So the fun begins...it was getting dark when I got home with a new battery last night... connected the red wire to the positive plus the other wire it was taped to, connected the black wire to the negative....jumped into cab shaking with exitement..turned the key chug chug chug....

tried again chug chug chug...got out to see what was going on and was greeted with clouds of smoke and the smell of burning rubber....turns out that red was negative and black was positive....

I've shorted the whole loom by the looks of it!! an encouraging start...anyone know where I can get another wiring loom from?

Also one of the locks didn't work, so I took the barrel out only for it to fall apart in my hands....fortunateley it still locks form the inside...

Apart from that I am over the moon with my purchase!

All good fun...

The bus was from Indonesia, think the guy had them done out there, I can find out for you if you like?

cheers guys, not slammed yet but its on the wish list....need to sort this wiring f*ck up out first so i can get it started!

LittlestHobo said:
The bus was from Indonesia, think the guy had them done out there, I can find out for you if you like?
I think Indonesia might be a bit far for me to go for a retrim ;)

Cheers though!

you'll be alright, I think the five one nine bus goes to Java, I'll give him a call and tell him to pop the kettle on...

On a more serious note, he may be able to het them made up, (just the covers) and sent out quite cheaply....

Wow, that is very nice. I love the interior!

When I got my bug, I was surprised to see that they used the red wire as a ground and the black as the positive. I just figured the PO didn't have the right lengths of wires in the right color. Then about a month or so later I got my 70 bus. It was the same way. So that makes me wonder, did VW do the opposite when it comes to the pos. neg. cables? Sure is strange to find 2 VW's with the same backwards set up!

I hope you get your bus wiring fixed soon. Sure looks like it would be nice to drive! :D

That is a great looking bus. The hightops are growing on me as well.

Also, what I ended up doing is taking red electrical tape (winding it around the cable) and a red positive clamp and attached those so that other people will know for sure.

Latest posts