• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEW BOY - back in the hunt !!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda blue

Reaction score
I won't bore you with the oh so familiar detail's but we are not now going to pursue the RHD Danbury :( ................
Back to the drawing board - realistically is our budget enough in this current marketplace :? ................cheers -JIM.

Jim

Do I take it that it needed more work than you first thought??

You can always come over to the LHD rust free brigade, plenty of good buses around with little or no rust :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was lucky I managed to find a rot free rhd for under 5k a couple of years back but there are still some rust issues which will need to be addressed soon to keep it that way and probably always will be.

If I could do it all again I wouldt hesitate, rust free LHD all the way.
Get as good a shell as you can, everything else is available how you want it. Graham L has a tintop westy which is all up and running and well worth a look, though I think you will have to be quick.

YES,YES, YES , I know all about the hot & dry California Left Hooker - my
'66 Karmann Ghia (one lady owner from new, 1966>2003) before I got in '03
is the absolute dog's b------'s, not a spot anywhere. But in six year's the wife has been in it twice - she will not sit on the "wrong" side, so it's got to be RHD.
Graham the Danbury story -when I first looked it was captive on the driveway (car's parked all round it) but looked good, if a little tired,one owner from new/all the date order paperwork/MOT - so arranged to go back
for inspection & drive, once underneath it was obvious that enough had been done for MOT but other area's.......?. Probably an OK buy for someone braver than me but too expensive (£9K) for a project - in my view :? .
I've a choice - increase my budget or reduce my Spec , so it's reduce my Spec: Tin Top not Pop-Top /rigged as a Bus not Camper , buy the best I
can even if needs a make-over inside (do that myself) but has to be RHD.

For 9K you want something sorted....

ddffrosts bus is very tidy but its a micro with Z hinge to rear and lhd so rules it out straight away....

Speak to Scott Wilson he should be able to sort you a good clean bus for that kind of cash...

bermuda blue said:
YES,YES, YES , I know all about the hot & dry California Left Hooker - my
'66 Karmann Ghia (one lady owner from new, 1966>2003) before I got in '03
is the absolute dog's b------'s, not a spot anywhere. But in six year's the wife has been in it twice - she will not sit on the "wrong" side, so it's got to be RHD.
Graham the Danbury story -when I first looked it was captive on the driveway (car's parked all round it) but looked good, if a little tired,one owner from new/all the date order paperwork/MOT - so arranged to go back
for inspection & drive, once underneath it was obvious that enough had been done for MOT but other area's.......?. Probably an OK buy for someone braver than me but too expensive (£9K) for a project - in my view :? .
I've a choice - increase my budget or reduce my Spec , so it's reduce my Spec: Tin Top not Pop-Top /rigged as a Bus not Camper , buy the best I
can even if needs a make-over inside (do that myself) but has to be RHD.

Sorry Jim, wasn't trying to tell you the obvious where imported left hookers are concerned, there are quite a few folk on here looking for rhd cos the missus wont drive a lefty and I got you mixed up with someone with a lesser budget than yours. :oops:

There are some great rhd busses out there but they generally go for 5 figure sums and dont come up very often, there are some 'very nice ones' for less but it will depend on wether you are able to carry out some remedial work yourself or can budget for it.

Scott Wilson as has been mentioned is your best bet for a dry import with rhd.
I guess its easy to say try a left hander when you have a rhd yourself and my Missus will happily drive either left or right so all I can say is good luck and hope you find and enjoy what your looking for soon ;)

Contact Scott Wilson he will do you proud ;) 8)

You may want to check these out. I just posted them today. I think, IMHO, the '70 tin top, maybe what you seek ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1,500.00 USD = 906.279 GBP
United States Dollars United Kingdom Pounds

I have not yet seen this Bay but it has had some work done already. I feel sure if you contact Rob , he would be able to send some more photos on request :) I know it says,"this price to moonies" All you would have to do is sign up on the Full Moon Bus sight (its free) and then you are one of the gang :alc: :beerchug: & get the "Moonie discount" :anim_19: :beerchug:
Got to say it would be a great starting point @ 906.279 GBP . That leaves a lot of GBPs to work with. :rocknroll: I have no idea what shipping would cost ??? I feel sure there are some on here{your side of the pond} that could help you figure that one out as well :roll:

It may be po that I'll be able to take a lookie for you , if interested . We have a camp out coming up in
August 13th thru 16th BOTR . He may be bringing this Bay :?: I'll contact him & see... or you can .

[email protected]

:character0032:

Thank's chap's , all advice greatly received , I am now in dialogue with Scott and am prepared to wait ; with my Ghia going next week I've been guilty of getting too impatient to replace it and of course the Summer (ish) is a seller's market 8) ....regards -JIM.

Hi,

Been following this thread and apologies for jumping in.

Not sure where you are but I've seen a really nice RHD Danbury today in Essex. I'm looking for something myself and hadn't seen a Danbury before but am not keen on the layout however this one was good. It's a 71 with one owner from new - an old scout leader lady who has used it to run the kids to camp but not for the last 10 years when it's just done trips to the garage for MOT. It has all the history and is very clean - got new door skins and has had a spray (not sure when) but it is completely as it was bought (at least as far as I know) and there's no welding except the battery tray that I could see. Everything very straight - bottom of doors gone a bit which is why they were skinned I guess - OK for now but will need replacing. The guy selling it is doing so as the lady has just been stopped from driving and seems totally straight - all the paperwork adds up - he doesn't know much about vans - which is fine. Link attached - well worth a look and good luck

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1156355.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way - anyone know of something for me? Am after an early Devon (had a Westy for 6 years til 2001 then sold it when we moved to London - now have child and want a bus again but just prefer the pop top on the Devon - keeps something of the shape). I'm looking for something tidy with a pop top - want it rust free, not fussed about inside fitout being in any way original but done would be good - not without wishing to blaspheme but it doesn't actually have to be early bay for me (although it would be nice) hope that doesn't get me into trouble ;o} Would like it lowered and clean - budget - ideally less than £10k.

Thanks

Guy

Latest posts