New exhaust recommendations for 1641cc engine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andyh said:
A5H said:
I've been running a Bluebird SS quiet pack for about 5 years, which I'm really happy with. But if I was buying a new exhaust today I would go down the Vintage Speed route :mrgreen:

I've just been on the phone to Bluebird and they no longer do the SS Single Quiet pack, just the stock style SS system. Stock system is apparently "much better for bottom end torque, right up to a 1776". Hmm...

Interesting, i would like to see how they came to that conclusion?

Me too, I assumed that it was along the lines of "this is what we're stocking now, obviously new and improved rather than old and inferior..."

It is interesting as I have the JK one which is essentially the same as the Bluebird one and it gives very good performance and reliability over other stock exhausts even up to 1776.

...one of the mags did a survey of sport exhausts against stock...they used a rolling road to measure bhp/torque.....'most' sports exhaust were worse/little better than std......

Sports exhausts......obviously the Corsa sale pitch sells them to many........perception of improvement doesn't mean improvement........but it sounds meaty so obviously it adds bhp :lol:

mjknight71 said:
...one of the mags did a survey of sport exhausts against stock...they used a rolling road to measure bhp/torque.....'most' sports exhaust were worse/little better than std......

Sports exhausts......obviously the Corsa sale pitch sells them to many........perception of improvement doesn't mean improvement........but it sounds meaty so obviously it adds bhp :lol:

Here you go.
page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

page4.jpg

page5.jpg

As i thought, i will be sticking with my single box stainless exhaust 8)

Yes I know your dilemma :lol:

Went through the same process four years back when I built my bit over 2 liter T1 engine for the bus. I ended up buying the one reviewed on the late bay forum eg. the JK stainless single "quiet" pack except I bought mine from Speedshop and its identical (the more swept back version is for the beetle). I wonder who actually makes these units?

The quality was fine and after four years theres no problems. Two things to bear in mind though. It hangs quite a bit lower than stock and even on my stock height bus I scratched mine a couple of times on the admittedly over the top speed bumps in Portugal. Hence I would not recommend this type of exhaust design for a lowered bus.

The other thing is noise (hence the quotes on the word quiet). Admittedly its all a question of individual preference and if your bus is more a fun thing and you like a loud exhaust then fine.

Being a member of the old gits club I found the noise levels way too high. I found myself having to feather the throttle in town, especially when there were any gendarms around. Giving it full throttle made it sound like a spitfire taking off and on long journeys it got pretty tedious. After putting up with it for a year I ended up modifying it with a second expansion box which has helped a lot.

The Vintage speed one looks pretty good and wont have the ground clearance problem though personally, having been caught out on an expensive mistake once already, I would want to hear one in real life before laying down the cash.

If my current modified system fails I think I would be tempted to try a stock 1600 beetle exhaust with twin van tailpipes (their diameter is much less restrictive than beetle tailpipes).
It would need to be an OG quality stock box though since some of the cheap copies I have seen are ridiculously restrictive due to poor quality design, assembly and welding.

I suspect using a beetle exhaust would be more restrictive than what I have currently but after 4 years of use I find one rarely uses high rpm anyway so would I notice any difference I wonder?

Hope this helps a bit :)

Edit July 2014. A beetle exhaust with twin bus or typ3 tail pipes may work on a 1776 but on a 2 litre engine it's hopeless. I tried it and the power loss was enormous. The noise was terrible. It sounded like an old boat. The beetle exhaust simply doesent have a large enough capacity to absorb each pistons exhaust stroke and so you end up with a nasty "blatting" exhaust note.

the photo that Tolufi showed in his post of a twin tailpipe system on beetle back box uses Type 3 tailpipes, reversed and fabricated mounts - there's a good thread on here somewhere posted by Dirty Harry - see http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C&C stock em - looks like one way to go!! - has anyone else done this system on there 1600?

cheers, Rob

Have a chat with Ade AKA Till on VZI

He will make you a custom made one to your spec and he is very reasonably priced.

he made mine for me!

it was John Maher THE engine builder that did the comparison as the customer already had the stock style one on his 1600 and the stock one gave out more bottom end torque than the SQP, 1776 twin webers cam etc etc not sure but I think a vacuum dissy was used,

I can't work it out... are the scores for sound in the article louder = better or..?
I've been following this thread with interest as I too am looking for a new 'un for my 1641, but I want a quieter note if poss!

I'm currently running a 1776cc with twin carbs and a mildish cam upgrade.
I've been running a stock beetle exhaust on it for a few thousand miles and all's well.
All I did was knock out the mesh within the 2 peashooters and this made a lot of difference, I just hope there's no long term damage being done?

Any thoughts?

skin69 said:
I'm currently running a 1776cc with twin carbs and a mildish cam upgrade.
I've been running a stock beetle exhaust on it for a few thousand miles and all's well.
All I did was knock out the mesh within the 2 peashooters and this made a lot of difference, I just hope there's no long term damage being done?

Any thoughts?

Don't worry, back in the days Theo Decker a German VW tuner used larger diameter peashooters.
They gave more overall power, cooler engine, better MPG and they made a better sound, they are still available
endrohre_tde.jpg

Thats made me feel better, although not over worried before.
I'm thinking about putting 2x bus exhausts on as previously discussed.
If not, who sells the peashooters you've found?

If not, who sells the peashooters you've found?

Had them in my hand yesterday at a big vw show, they are very popular in Germany.
These are made completly out of stainless steel with a lifetime waranty.
This guy has the original ones http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here is a another pic.

auspuff2.jpg

did anyone use one of the stainless systems from VW Heritage yet?
see http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_56919726_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it would seem to have the advantage of twin outlets from the backbox into a single bigger bore tailpipe, suitable for the bus - giving the same effect with reduced backpressure as Dirty Harry's modified Type 3 twin tailpipe system??
- does it??
many thanks for any info on this system
Rob

robjarman said:
see http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_56919726_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it would seem to have the advantage of twin outlets from the backbox into a single bigger bore tailpipe, suitable for the bus - giving the same effect with reduced backpressure as Dirty Harry's modified Type 3 twin tailpipe system??
- does it??
Rob

Hi,

I have this system, recently bought second hand, but not got round to fitting it at the moment, seems nice a nice box, and should be a improvement over stock probably, and no doubt better than my old rusty Empi thing, which still hasn't died after over 3 years use, and it was on the van when it came from the states.

The metal bracket that supports the tailpipe has cracked off, so needs a little weld, don't know if this fatigue is a common issue on this system? though the system is not shiney, and needs a machine polish, just a dull coulour, not sure what it looked like when new.

Here's mine:

001-1.jpg

I'll let you know what it's like, but to be honest, it'll be a month or so till i get around to fitting it.

Cheers,

Alistair

robjarman said:
great thanks for that info - look fwd to a further report in due course - do pm me if that's more convenient
cheers Rob

/hi,

OK, no worries. I have a set of Weber ICT's to fit at the same time, but need to sort out heat riser blanks and poss fuel pump, not too sure if the stock pump has too much psi, may well fit a pressure guage in line to see what it runs at now. Was aiming to do the exhaust and carbs in one hit, but as i use the van most days, and if the weather is good im out in it, and if the weather is bad it doesn't get anything done to it either! Bear with me!

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
robjarman said:

- does it??
Rob

Hi,

I have this system, recently bought second hand, but not got round to fitting it at the moment, seems nice a nice box, and should be a improvement over stock probably, and no doubt better than my old rusty Empi thing, which still hasn't died after over 3 years use, and it was on the van when it came from the states.

The metal bracket that supports the tailpipe has cracked off, so needs a little weld, don't know if this fatigue is a common issue on this system? though the system is not shiney, and needs a machine polish, just a dull coulour, not sure what it looked like when new.

I'll let you know what it's like, but to be honest, it'll be a month or so till i get around to fitting it.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hey have you fitted this exhaust now? What is it like, are you pleased with it? Is it a decent quality, what sort of noise does it make? I have read through many exhaust posts but there isn't much information on this exhaust, but it's definitely one I would like to fit if I can find out more information.

Latest posts