Newbie early bay owner and new Carb advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69calwesty

Reaction score
Hi all – I'm the proud new owner of a 69 Westy. Had it two weeks, driven it twice and the Carbs knackered! Won't start and moisture coming from the carb component itself (at an original factory weld section) It so nearly starts but it looks like it's probably not worth spending the time on dismantling and rebuilding.

So - I'm looking to replace the carb and have an opportunity to upgrade on performance! (What an excuse)

I've had a look around and there are quite a few options – any advice on what I should get would be greatly received. I understand it would be better from a practicality point of view to get on with auto choke – unsure what this limits me too. Cost is also a factor (just shedded out for a new van) so can't afford to go crazy and get something that also needs a lot of further investment on extra setup parts – I will be getting a new fuel pump though as the current one looks a little shady.

Welcome thoughts and look forward to getting back on the road soon!

Welcome to the forum.If the carb you have is the original solex then these are well worth spending the money on to have either fully refurbished (£125) or a rebuild kit £15 depending on whats wrong with yours.They are regarded as premium quality and better than any repro ones availabe.If you want to go down the performance that opens up a whole new topic depending on budget.

another option to have the carb rebuilt ...less than £90....feedback ok
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Classic-Beetle-camper-Solex-Refurb-Service-/151044379014?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D7770730219290871398%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D151042665284%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for the replies. A refurb could be an option - however the mechanic who looked at this said the part thats faulty is a non refurb part - when your looking at the carb from the back of the vehicle there is a circular plate about the size of a 20p above the manifold bolt. On depressing the accelerator this plate moves a tiny bit and therefore vapour is coming from it. I don't know what this plate does or if it is a refurb part? We believe this leak, along with a gasket leak at the carb-manifold below is causing the engine to not start (it's so nearly starting but won't no matter what adjustments are made)

If this is to be the case and it can't be refurbbed ??? then i would need to buy a new one. If I'm spending £100+ should i invest more cash now and get a good webber single carb replacement and reap the benefits of a bit more punch?

Any further thoughts would be apprecitated before i make a decision on what to do. If I do go for a Webber single port carb what should i be looking for and are these simple to fit/need setting up?

Thanks again

For example - will this replace my current carb without any necessary modifications to other engine elements? It looks like there are additional manifold intakes to account for?

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=T1%20WEBER%2034ICT%20SP&CategoryID=26&PartsectionID=115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a bit of a newbie to this (as you might guess!) but obviously i need to get going with it so that i can get it fixed and enjoy my new wheels!

Thanks

info on "that little plate".....you can get new from the likes of VW Heritage...
http://www.vw-resource.com/welch_plugs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could go with a twin carb setup but you would need to have them set up properly to get the benifit so allow another 100 or so for that.also you will have to cut off the oil bath filter bracket from the side of the engine bay.
not sure the starting issue would be purely down to the problem you describe do you know anyone with a spare carb you can try.

Hiya - no i don't know anyone with a spare carb to try sadly. That 34 carb looks good, shame I've ordered the twin setup today (impatient day at work!), got one of these which I'm hoping won't be too bad to install myself:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=T1%20WEBER%2034ICT%20SP&CategoryID=26&PartsectionID=115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you say will need to get it setup but have a guy around the corner who might be able to do this.

I really hope it is the carb at fault, I've done the following:

New Plugs
New coil, leads and electric ignition (flamethrower kit)
New Fuel filter
New Rotor arm
New distributor cap

Spark is getting to the plugs so new setup seems to be working on the ignition side. Cleaned the external located carb jets - checked that fuel is getting to the carb which it is (no blockages in fuel line). Taken carb off and checked that this is operating correctly - can see fuel being pumped into chamber so this doesn't seem to be faulty. However when put the carb back on I can see vapor coming from both a weak gasket but also from a once repaired welch plug (maybe this has popped out before and be repaired). The van gets so so close to starting when the welch plug is sealed with thumb but it's not quite enough for it. Tweaking mixture and timing also didn't work, even sprayed some easy start and didn't do the trick.

Thinking that a new carb (allbeit an expensive possibility) will do the trick. But who knows, if it's not that then I'm gonna be pissed and completely baffled as to what it could next be!

Think I need to find a local vw handyman - anyone know of anyone in/near Kingston, Surrey?

See how you get on with the carbs sounds like everything else has been checked, im only down the A3 in Ripley.
If you dont have any joy i could come and have a look.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Another thing to check is valve clearances. If you have a tight gap it will cause low compression and make starting difficult.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hi there cheers for the thoughts. I might just take you up on that offer if a new carb doesn't fix it!

So I cancelled the twin carb order-i was way to ambitious, the solex 34 on here is a much better idea to test the problem with (also less money I have to invest in the issue after everything changed so far!)

This should arrive thurs so I can fit that eve-fingers crossed.

Will also look into valve gap-dont know how to check these but will dig out the manual!

Cheers
J

Hi there - ok next conundrum...

New 34 pict carb arrived today (the one from one here) – took the old 30/31 off and unknowingly the base is a different size to the 34! Frustrations....!

So - my options are:

1. Take the inlet manifold off and replace it with one to fit the 34 - however the manual says this is an engine out job, is this right?! If so this option seems a little long winded just to find out it if my current carb is faulty or not (I'm not feeling very optimistic about it being the carb but nothing else is looking viable as things stand)

2. Try and fix my current carb - get it refurbed or buy a kit and DIY

3. Find a replacement 30/31 to bolt straight on - this could be the expensive route (when I've already forked out for the 34)

4. Continue crying!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Adapter plate so you can fit a 34......you get 10% off at Coolair
http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Engine_Products~Fuel_Intake_System~Carburettors~Carburettor_Parts/AC12921419/30-31Pict_Caburettor_To_34Pict_Manifold_Adapter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harlequin said:
another option to have the carb rebuilt ...less than £90....feedback ok
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Classic-Beetle-camper-Solex-Refurb-Service-/151044379014?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D7770730219290871398%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D151042665284%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know this guy personally and believe you me he does a great job , well worth doing if original carb

Harlequin said:
http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Engine_Products~Fuel_Intake_System~Carburettors~Carburettor_Parts/AC12921419/30-31Pict_Caburettor_To_34Pict_Manifold_Adapter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this work the other way? I've got a 30/31 pict manifold with a new 34 pict carb...

69calwesty said:
Harlequin said:

Does this work the other way? I've got a 30/31 pict manifold with a new 34 pict carb...

I'm sure it does as a mate has one fitted in his bug...give them a ring & ask

Harlequin said:
69calwesty said:
Harlequin said:

I'm sure it does as a mate has one fitted in his bug...give them a ring & ask

cheers, will call in the morning.

I've just read on vzi that you could potentially lose perfomance by fitting a 34, after a 30/31. Is this correct?

I'm learning, the hard way.

ive found a 30/31 carb. i used to have this on my late bay 1600 as a temporary thing until a found a good 34 always ran fine.
its a bit dusty from being in my shed but im sure it will be ok.
you are welcome to borrow it and see what happens.
im still not convinced its all the carbs fault as they will usually start but not tick over. if its not firing at all check the leads are on right, points, condenser, rotor arm, dizzy cap, and tappets.

Latest posts