newly aqcuired 72 crossover with issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fintious max

Reaction score
Hi all, my bro-in-law has just bought the above which I have been nominated to fix up. First and most serious to deal with is the really bad smell of fuel in the cab and outside the bus. I had it in my garage for an hour and had to take it out as the fuel smell was too overpowering. The breather hose doesn't seem to be connected to anything and from the tee piece there is an open ended pipe secured to the top of the engine bay. I think there should be a hose from this to the air filter or carb but it has twin carbs with what look like k&n filters. I did up a 1303s beetle many years ago but am more familiar with modern engines so please be gentle.

Thanks for any help, Andy

Welcome :)
If you click on the search bit at the top of the page, and type in " fuel smell, or fuel pipe" and look in the posts in technical sections you should find your answers. Pics of all the fuel pipe routes have been posted up before, which should help you.
Dare say its a perished pipe somewhere..
You're right, that t piece would of led on the the o.g air filter originally.
Hope that helps.

depends upon when they were last changed but likely culprits are the breather system joining pieces all round the engine bay ... or the filler hose.

Does this help:
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/2-002.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I got my x-over put fuel in for the first time, I got wet feet.. they have a U-shaped tube (metal) from the filler down, mine had rotted on the bend, could be worth pouring some in to check.

Arse of a job to repair as have to make a hole in the engine bay to get at it.
Best of luck.

With that schematic breakdown picture above, no 45 is up inside your airvents to the engine bay and if you look in to them you`ll just about see them. Most if not all of the joints on the vent system were bits of cloth covered fuel pipe and need changing, as do most of the fuel supply pipes if they haven`t been changed and possibly your filler pipe. The big big issue is these pipes weren`t intended to be used with ethanol as is now the case in modern fuels and they rot out for a past time now. The other issue is getting ethanol resistant fuel pipe in the right size for these old beasties. There are quite a few threads about it on here if you tickle the search function :mrgreen: Oh,, and welcome to you and ask away with questions :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Prevention is bestest :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to replace the breather hoses as they do look past it. Have read through searches but can't find out where the breather should be attached to. From the t piece there is a hose going to each side vent expansion bit but where should I take the third hose to? Down under the engine bay beneath the bus??

Assuming you are talking about part 15 on the link I posted, this goes off to the oil bath filter on a standard carb/filter setup where the fumes are ingested into the engine. You can see it on mine:
20150704_192023_zpsw5njyg9z.jpg

Latest posts