Nice Early Bay - someone's daily driver

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotVWheels

Reaction score
390498.jpg

Spotted this super-straight Early Bay at a shopping mall here in Johannesburg a few weeks ago :wink:

I was only there for 10 days, but I did expect to see more, though like you say. the salty air must have taken its toll. :)
One of the two I did see was an immaculate deluxe, but we were driving, so I couldn't take a pic. I did rather fancy putting one of those many MK1 shaped Golf Citis in my suitcase and taking it home with me. 8)

The CitiGolf is indeed quite popular here by us - with owners, potential buyers and thieves alike. I work for a vehicle tracking & recovery company, and the CitiGolf is rated as one of the vehicles most likely to get stolen. This article was a few weeks ago in a local newspaper:

394024.jpg

An interesting article. :D

I probably wouldn't have one as my 'daily' but I'd have one in my collection of other 'novelty' cars and early bays, as I've always loved the MkI shape... not that I'm likely to be able to have such a collection :D

I remember the old Metro (and of course the old style Mini) over here was eventually killed off due to crash safety issues. It rumbled on for many years with various tweeks and re-badging. :D

Danbury Doug said:
I remember the old Metro (and of course the old style Mini) over here was eventually killed off due to crash safety issues.

i remember running into the back the Postmans Vauxhall van and spinning him 180° in my Austin Metro :lol: it was his fault he didnt indicate and pulled straight out, i was on skinnies and doing 45 in the wet.

My car was totalled at the front, he just calmly got out, popped a corner bumper piece back on and drove off without a scratch :lol:

I'd rather drive a paper mache three wheeler than get back into a metro!

sorry for the off topic :oops:

fig said:
ant said:
hi,do you know what the round thing is between the headlamp and indicator?

It's a reflector. These used to be a legal requirement for all SA cars.

This is a old picture of my SA fasty, There is a reflector fitted.
myfasty2.jpg

Lucky boy said:
fig said:
ant said:
hi,do you know what the round thing is between the headlamp and indicator?

It's a reflector. These used to be a legal requirement for all SA cars.

This is a old picture of my SA fasty, There is a reflector fitted.
myfasty2.jpg

Used to be owned by Rossy in Zwindon if memory serves?

Yellow tinted back window on SA models only!

SWEEEEET.

Latest posts