Nine passenger 1970 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice surprise , the mechanic says the engine is a 1776 and the tranny according to the previous owner is a freeway flyer so it is going to be nice driving this bus to work.
I have only driven stock 1600 engines on early bays so I'm curious to see how this one drives , I'm due to pick it up this saturday from the shop , now I am hunting for a nice muffler to replace that ugly rusty one :mrgreen:

ib-bus said:
Nice surprise , the mechanic says the engine is a 1776 and the tranny according to the previous owner is a freeway flyer so it is going to be nice driving this bus to work.
I have only driven stock 1600 engines on early bays so I'm curious to see how this one drives , I'm due to pick it up this saturday from the shop , now I am hunting for a nice muffler to replace that ugly rusty one :mrgreen:

Bonus 8)

Went today to check on progress and engine is almost done , I am due to pick up the bus in 2 days.
New clutch is being installed as well.

SInce I can't make up my mind about the wheels and time is almost up to pick up the bus I am using a set of freshly sandblasted and powder coated wheels I had in the garage for my Westy.

Here a picture from when I picked up the wheels from the powder coaters.

New Hankooks RA08

Here one pair already in the bus.

Skiingnick said:
That is going to be a fantastic bus. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming. :D

I may not do a lot of work but I do take lots of pictures :mrgreen:

Today the engine was up , tomorrow I pick her up and bring her home :D

First drive out of town and the bus dies on me :(
Minutes before dying on me , I had to push start the bus since the battery was too low to start on it's own.
I was driving normally when suddenly it felt like someone pulled the plug on the electrical system.
Without any juice on the battery to trouble shoot and on the side of the road at 6am my choices weren't too many.

So next step was to call a tow truck to get me home , this tow truck guy doesn't even asks what kind of car or where is he taking it , just tell me where you are at he says , he knows is a bus and he knows where I live :oops:

Once home I went to buy a new battery and the bus was turning but didn't started , so I looked for any loose cables , finally I saw one by itself that once stretched it matched the distance to an empty plug on top of the generator.
That and the battery were the problem.
Now running took my oldest kid with me for a test ride and the bus's first wash.

Today they replaced the brake cylinders on all 4 wheels , one of the brake lines was clogged too , it now brakes in a straight line.

I wish I had this tool to remove castle nuts :mrgreen:

Muffler was rubbing on the mustache bar so that got fixed too.

sparkywig said:
We all have these new bus issues Juan. :)

Very true , I usually get towed home at least 3 times before I fix all issues on any new bus I get :mrgreen:
No stress here , been there done that ! :D

Bus clean up continues , 10 year old dust inside slowly coming out.
Today I installed all 4 stainless steel hub caps , a set of rear jail bars , 8 seat belts 1 more to go and the rear apron.
Looking much better me thinks.

gvee said:
Love the paint on this bus 8) 8) 8)

I like it too but it's tired and it used to be a green bus , they did a good job painting the interior too but now that the red paint is peeling in some areas you can see green under it.
But for the time being is rolling with nice faded red paint :D