No Brake Lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
As the weather was so nice yesterday, went to take our 71 out on a trip to the beach. Did the usual checks before setting off and found that both brake lights not coming on.
checked the bulbs and fuses (all ok). All other lights work.
After a few expletives, checked that there was 12v at one side of both brake light pressure switches on the master cylinder, but zero volts on the other side of the switches when the pedal pressed.
checked the brake fluid level and drove the buss up and down the street to make sure the brakes actually work.
I shorted the wires on each of the switches together and the brake light bulbs illuminate so not a bad earth or broken wire. I also measured the resistance across both switches and no change when the pedal pressed.

My question before I buy two new switches is, has anyone had both switches fail at the same time?

The switches are wired in tandem, one switch fails you won't notice until the other one fails.

And the other little thing might be, did you check them before you laid up last? Plus you wouldn’t notice ^^^ if one was awry would you.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,that sunshine was just a taster I reckon :mrgreen:

Received 2 new brake light switches from Brickwerks today. Fitted only to find one of the switches is pissing brake fluid from the electrical contacts.
Good news is the other is working and I have brake lights now (albeit from one switch only)...

gagvanman said:
Received 2 new brake light switches from Brickwerks today. Fitted only to find one of the switches is pissing brake fluid from the electrical contacts.
Good news is the other is working and I have brake lights now (albeit from one switch only)...

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of this happening with new switches. What do these manufacturers think we’re gonna do with these new parts?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,beggars belief really ;)

Pattern ones are shite, I always buy them from a VW dealer 113945515H for the two pin switch.

On the brake light issue, my left hand rear light puts the indicator bulb & brake on when I press the brake pedal. Does any one have any advice on why this would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orr_niall said:
On the brake light issue, my left hand rear light puts the indicator bulb & brake on when I press the brake pedal. Does any one have any advice on why this would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad earth, try taking a separate earth from the light base to the body.

Latest posts