No hi-beam.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete B

Reaction score
Not in, but 9 miles north of Peterborough
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bus
Running through stuff for tomorrows MOT test and for some reason the previously faultless headlamp circuit is now not switching to high beam. The high beam warning lamp illuminates whilst the lever is pulled towards the steering wheel but the relay cannot be heard switching. Am currently suspecting an earth fault, as turning the dimmer for the dash lights moves the fuel gauge needle from empty to full..... Everything in this area has been working fine until this evening, couldn't have waited to play up until after the test could it??!!
Am off into the depths of Norfolk early in the morning to pick my new car up (well, new to me!) and don't expect to be home before 2pm at the earliest and test booked for 4.30pm.
I'm know it's not much of a problem, but my head is scrambled at the moment with various 'stuff' going on and haven't yet had 2 minutes to investigate, so any thoughts/pointers/advice would be most welcome.
Thanks folks :? .

i had a simular prob recently after removing my steering column and all the wiring came out of the multiplugs! eventually i found a brown wire fallen off the rear of the speedo unit,seemed to be an earth of some sort but when connected the relay clicked and all worked,when disconnected no click from relay and no high beam.(mines a 72 cross,us import)

Pete - my bus is off the road due to carbs eating gaskets...so you are welcome to borrow my relay - this was the cause of mine failing the mot about 1month ago. I got a new relay from GSF but they only do a 5 pin one and I couldn't get it to work

you're welcome to take both, to get you MOT'd

think you have my number if not PM me

cheers

Darren

I think you have to bridge two pins on the five pin version.

I can check mine if you need to know!

blotty said:
eventually i found a brown wire fallen off the rear of the speedo unit,seemed to be an earth of some sort but when connected the relay clicked and all worked,when disconnected no click from relay and no high beam.

Found a brown wire off, came from rear of speedo down to wiper switch (or would have off not in mid air) and then to somewhere else. Was well out of sight and needed a mirror to see it but when popped back on all was good. Phew.

Thank you all for your help and kind offers, appologies for not responding sooner :oops: .

Whilst I did fix it before the test, sadly I came away with an 8 point failure sheet, mostly minor rust issues that (after two previous mot's at same place by same guy) are now apparently structural concerns. Still, that's another story and thank you all again 8) .

Latest posts