no tittle or with tittle when importing??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have thought it was the other way around

no title [essentially a kind of V5] would be cheaper as a bill of sale is acceptable in some states and no registration docs need be produced.

you cannot export from the US without a title, but that means paperwork and time, hence usually the price goes up!

hth?

Yup the bus must have a title for export from the US. To get a title the owner must have the bus running and someone from the DMV inspect it. like getting the bus through and mot to get it registered but easier.

Thanks for your advice guys...

I just asked the guy in USA how he's going to tittle the van -= as its got no engine?!

His reply - ''I can title car without running gear and have a title company who does all the cars i buy and sell locally and overseas.. ''

The last thing i want is to go over there, buy the van, get a recon engine, organise shipping,, and then not be allowed on the boat!!

??? :mrgreen: ????

i would ask for a copy of the title to be emailed/posted if the bus doesnt have one and hes having to apply for a new one before any money changes hands. if hes genuine then he should have no problem doing this.

I was positive that the bus had to be running before it could get a title :| .

You could ask Randy (mroldbug) im pretty sure he just got his BBC bus 'titled' to get it in a container bound for the UK last week or so.

Don't think it has to be running - sure Tim has imported trucks that have an engine but not actually running - in fact I know this is what happened with the last 2, as Tim was the first to get it running in 30 odd years.

D

dubdubz said:
Don't think it has to be running - sure Tim has imported trucks that have an engine but not actually running - in fact I know this is what happened with the last 2, as Tim was the first to get it running in 30 odd years.

D

its most likely that those buses already had a title, its only when perhaps a bus is found lying and theres no title (registered owner) to be found and you need to apply for a new one, or the original title was lost and never reapplied for.

I think to apply for a 'new' title to replace a lost one the vehicle needs to be running.

''i would ask for a copy of the title to be emailed/posted if the bus doesnt have one and hes having to apply for a new one before any money changes hands.''

Do you mean ask him to go ahead and do all the paperwork for tittle - then email to me?

I havn't asked him yet but would he not want some kind of deposit or money paid for time taken to do this??

Thanks for the heads up on that though

sackmcgannay said:
''i would ask for a copy of the title to be emailed/posted if the bus doesnt have one and hes having to apply for a new one before any money changes hands.''

Do you mean ask him to go ahead and do all the paperwork for tittle - then email to me?

I havn't asked him yet but would he not want some kind of deposit or money paid for time taken to do this??

Thanks for the heads up on that though

essentially yes, i would want proof of title, Or rather the title in place before exchanging money as there's no guarantee a title will be granted. You will not get the bus out of the US without it. Thats not to say he wont get the title, im sure he would, but why take the risk?, if hes genuine then he'll understand im sure.

Put a deposit down using paypal of something where you can recall the money if it goes tits up. Once he has the title then do the business with him.

I spoke to my friend who lives in Socal, basically most people will only title a vehicle when it's running as it costs money and therefore as there is no legal requirement....most don't bother. I also asked about the company bit....there are companys that take the pain from waiting in the line at the DMV, BUT there are some companies that will get a title from another vehicle and do shady stuff.

where in the US is it? surely there's another bus somewhere with a title? is it a samba ad?

its in California.. this bus is kind of what i've been looking for - at a price i can afford - so i just hope its not dodgy - but i have no reason to think it is dodge so untill then you got to trust people..
thanks for talking to your mate about that,, cheers, rowan.

In California you can get a title for a non running vehicle no problem there...it just takes time for processing and such. Last one I did took about 4 weeks before I received the title in the mail.
Leave that up to the seller to handle and just dont send all the money until you see a copy of it.
If the seller has a title for it, but it is in someone elses name (as in he or she did not transfer it into their name) I believe it is still OK for export. Basically US Customs requires the actual title to be present in order to clear. No title, no leaving the country. They also want to see a bill of sale which is basically a signed letter stating that it is being sold to the buyer, etc.

Im happy to help if I can...let me know who has it, perhaps I know the seller.

Be careful about how much you get charged for putting a title back on the bus, when the current owner applies for the title to DMV they are responsible for outstanding fines etc from when it was registered before and these have to be paid to get the title back, I've heard of titles costing up to $700 which then makes a cheap bus no longer cheap.

As others have said getting a title on a non runner is not a problem and has no effect on getting it registered over here, I've now registered at least 6 buses that came over without engines and the US title only lists the VIN number and the year it was first registered whicvh is what you are after.

Also be warned that getting a new title doc out of the DMV is not a quick process, I've had buses waiting in the US for titles that have taken up to 6 weeks to turn up, think of it like the US version of the DVLA, not the quickest people in the world!!

Latest posts