Noisy Engine???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alzy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a break today from welding, repairing chassis, bodywork etc and decided to take a look at why my engine is running so tappety/loud.

I have had the van for 12 months now and i haven`t as yet driven it(although it will only be a couple of weeks til i will :lol: ) since i bought it.

I was told that the engine had only done 5000 miles and was serviced before i collected it. its a standard 1600.

I took the rocker covers off and checked and adjusted all clearances as they were slightly out but it still seems to be running rough. I adjusted them until i felt a light drag ont the feelers. using 0.15

Will a service rectify this as im thinking the oil ihas been sitting for 12 months(apart from a few 10 minuite startups now and again???

Cheers

Alex

isn't it 0.006" or 0.004" hang on you might be using metric and i'm imperial...hahaha

I'm so old school :D

Either that or your rockers/rocker shafts are worn and would explain the tappety noises with possibly correct valve clearances. If in doubt remove the rocker assembly and check for play between rockers and rocker shaft. :roll:

Shaggy said:
isn't it 0.006" or 0.004" hang on you might be using metric and i'm imperial...hahaha

I'm so old school :D

0.006=0.15 in metric. Me and SK were talking about this just last night. God we're sad. :lol:

I don't think changing the oil will make it any quieter.How did you adjust the tappets? Did you turn the engine over to the right place before adjusting each one?

I don't know if you know of this site but it could help you match your noise to it and give you a help? http://home.arcor.de/silke.fokken/sounds/

i have done mine, but i think i may have not adjusted it right but the slight tappin i had has gone away

used 0.15 metric

and turned engine over by hand

VWAIRCOOLED said:
I don't think changing the oil will make it any quieter.How did you adjust the tappets? Did you turn the engine over to the right place before adjusting each one?

I don't know if you know of this site but it could help you match your noise to it and give you a help? http://home.arcor.de/silke.fokken/sounds/

This website is excellent.

Just listened to a few, i think mine has broken it's crankshaft.

quick question, what oil are you using? 8)

Tintop said:
VWAIRCOOLED said:

This website is excellent.

Just listened to a few, i think mine has broken it's crankshaft.

Bummer! Don't try to get to grandma's house with this, even if it's just over the river and through the woods.
:lol:

I think there must be a fair amount of judgement in valve adjustment. In the amount of resistance the feeler gauge should have and so forth.

I'd been doing my valves myself for ages, she was always a bit clackety, but ran great. When carby trouble hit (stupid twin carbs!) and I took her to a garage, they told me that they had adjusted the valves 'cause they were too sloppy. And I immediately noticed that she was lots quieter. I didn't ask what they were set to, perhaps 0.1mm (0.004") rather than the spec(?) of 0.15mm (0.006"). I will have to ask next time I'm there, and check them often myself to make sure they can all still close, in the meantime.

I picked up a '69 once, drove it home. When I went to adjust the valves the next morning, I was amused to see that there was fully 2.0mm of 'clearance' on most of them! Yikes, no wonder she sounded like a diesel. It did actually still drive though, but much better after the adjustment.

Cheers, A.

easy said:
quick question, what oil are you using? 8)

TBH i dont know whats in there as he gave me two cheapy cans and a half can of morris`.

i can only assume its morris oil.

Ill check again tommorow with a slightly greater drag on the guage and see what happens

cheers

sometimes the wrong oil can cause loads of wierdness. :? 8)

Latest posts