Oil leak help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny69

Reaction score
Getting a small oil leak dripping down from either the pulley or the oil pump cover.

Haven't tracked it down yet but What sort of seal is there on the crank pulley?

Tis

Johnny

There isn't one on the crank pulley.
Instead it has a reverse (to the direction of engine turn) thread that helps keep the oil inside.

Oil pump cover is a pain because you have to remove the pulley in order to remove the tinware that covers the bugger (Trikky, can you do it without taking the pulley off?).

Mmm thanks. Just been reading up on this a bit - it's got an aluminium crank pulley on the motor and the crank breather is just going to an aftermarket k and n mini filter as opposed to back into the stock air filter.

I'm going to connect the breather back up to the air filter and see if that makes any difference. Just hoping the aluminium crank pulley is ok as I've read some of them have the threads drilled the wrong way which can force oil out of the engine as opposed to drawing in air to keep it in!!

Johnny69 said:
Mmm thanks. Just been reading up on this a bit - it's got an aluminium crank pulley on the motor and the crank breather is just going to an aftermarket k and n mini filter as opposed to back into the stock air filter.

I'm going to connect the breather back up to the air filter and see if that makes any difference. Just hoping the aluminium crank pulley is ok as I've read some of them have the threads drilled the wrong way which can force oil out of the engine as opposed to drawing in air to keep it in!!

Good plan. Also, if you have the type of stock breather with the pipe that goes down through the tinware, make sure the rubber/plastic beak on the end is there and in good condition.

Johnny69 said:
Is there supposed to be a rubber bit on the end of that pipe?

Indeed.

One of these :-

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/253260180/rubber-valve-oil-pipe/?crumbStartPage=4&crumbStartRow=103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's quite important in the way the breather works.

Without it the slight suction from the air cleaner will suck up the tube instead of sucking from the engine case. This means fumes and oil mist will exit from round the engine pulley instead of being drawn into the breather system and burnt in the combustion chambers.

Or just go down the Untechnical and cheaper route first , and put some Wynns Oil Leak sealer in the sump, six quid from Halfords.......I've had oil peeing out ofthe pushrods tubes, put this stuff in....all sealed , amazing , I really didn't think it would work !!
Probably not the best thing long term, but ok for a quick easy short term fix.

Latest posts