Oil pick up securing tab sheered off. Am I safe to drive the bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOM68

Reaction score
Now then, what I thought was going to be a straightforward oil change has turned into a bit of a nightmare!!

I am running a 2007cc with a deep sump and when I undid the sump plate I noticed this weird tab thing lying on it. On further investigation it turns out to be the tab that secures the oil pick up in place, how it has come to sheer off I have no idea, faulty part maybe...?

Anyhows I know it is going to have to be a engine drop and split to get it sorted, however I will leave that to the engine builder as it is not something I would be happy to do. The problem I have is my engine builder is about 60 miles up the road, so I wanted to check peoples thoughts on whether I could fill the van with fresh oil and then drive it steadily over to the garage? I have searched google but nothing worthwhile came back.

TIA

An unhappy chappy :(

I wouldn’t chance it, it might be ok but for the cost of a delivery truck to take your bus up to the garage, it pales into insignificance against a motor starved of oil and yours don’t sound like a boggo standard motor. If your oil pickup manages to evade most of your oil for even a short period of time, you is talking bigso bucks.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, delivery truck, count blessings, carry on with loving life :mrgreen:

Here is the offending item. I have spoken to my engine builder and he confirmed under no circumstances should the bus be driven. Glad i found it when I did.

Completely agree with you Ozziedog, transporter is booked. :D

Latest posts