red oil light - advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggles

Reaction score
I am hoping people can give me a bit of a steer with this.

On my van for the first time yesterday the red oil light started flickering and coming on when coming to a stand still at road junctions. As soon as I raise the revs a little it goes out (the idle is at aprox 1000rpm). The light doesn't appear to go on unless the clutch is depressed. I was driving from London down to Devon when it happened. I stopped to check the motor. The oil was a little low so I topped up to the max line on the dip stick (just under a litre). This initially seemed to have sorted the problem, but it started again in about 10 mins - so I assume just the time taken for the new oil to get back up to temp. From what I can tell there has been no change to how the engine sounds and it seems to run ok. The dip stick whilst hot-ish was possible to handle. The Van is pretty heavily loaded. Keeping a close eye on things I got to Devon (about a further 120 miles without mishap)

The engine is quite old (1600TP rebuilt form an original 1500SP ... it came with the van). I am assuming that the issue is one of three things

1. The pressure switch is faulty (unlikely perhaps as it has been fine up to now - I gave it a thorough clean).
2. The oil pump is on its way out.
3. The engine is old and the oil pressure is dropping as a result - and it has now fallen such that the light is coming on at idle (might have been close to this for some time).

My question is ... given the above - is all this a gradual process meaning I need to change/overhaul the engine pretty soon, but everything else being equal I should be ok to continue the trip (down to cornwall and then back up to London aprox 400 miles) ? - I can then swap the engine out when I get back(I am in the process of sorting a new power unit). Or does the light mean that the process is now critical and it could let go at any moment?

Any thoughts/experience on this would be much appreciated?

I think you have the nail on the head. I'm guessing it's possible to check your oil pressure without pulling everything out, just to confirm your diagnosis. This is now the piece of string situation about how long it's gonna last but I don't think any panicking is required. What sort of oil are you using ? And when was the last time you did an oil change. It is possible with a worn engine for everything to get just a little hotter than normal with a bit of a load on and warmer weather etc etc etc it is possible that the oil is cooked. Are you using multi flavour mineral? I reckon it will last a bit longer with an oil change to help out possibly Halfords classic 15/50 mineral or something like that.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, might do another five thou :mrgreen:

The oil may be coming to the end ... 3k plus miles and reasonably hard driving. I will change and see how I go. Thanks for the input.

What oil grade are you using? Thinner oil at higher temps will make the oil light flicker at idle. My opinion would be that it is nothing to worry about, and at least you know the pressure sensing circuit is working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
What oil grade are you using? Thinner oil at higher temps will make the oil light flicker at idle. My opinion would be that it is nothing to worry about, and at least you know the pressure sensing circuit is working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just back from 250 mile round trip. With oil change and tune up the oil light barely flickered at all ... just occasionally after hard use following a steep hill when coming to a halt at a roundabout. So all seems good.

However I had another occurrence which feed back would be good on. At one point the brake pedal went soft and needed pumping to gain breaking. This wore off and didn't happen again ... but when I stopped at the nearest convenient point the hrs wheel was quite hot to touch. It didn't happen again the whole trip, but I assume the brake must have bound on for a period - not hard enough to pull but enough to heat things up.

Has anyone come across this and if so any advice?

Raggles said:
I had another occurrence which feed back would be good on. At one point the brake pedal went soft and needed pumping to gain breaking. This wore off and didn't happen again ... but when I stopped at the nearest convenient point the hrs wheel was quite hot to touch. It didn't happen again the whole trip, but I assume the brake must have bound on for a period - not hard enough to pull but enough to heat things up.

Has anyone come across this and if so any advice?

Your assumption would be correct. You need to service your brakes and renew your brake fluid. Also have a look at the brake shoes on the corner that was getting hot. You will find they will most likely be heat damaged and polished. Best bet would be to replace them both sides.

Latest posts