Oil pressure switch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Reaction score
My oil pressure warning light has stopped working...

It last came on when the oil level was low, not sure how it was so low as I had been regularly checking it but during that 300 mile interval the engine had got to 120* on my temp guage 3 times so I guess the thinner oil when hot found was to escape. Anyway completely changed the oil and the pressure light has not come on since either with the engine running or not. I removed the dash guage fuse and the bulb illuminated so I guess the problem is not there, the wiring diagram shows the wire goes straight to the switch and therefore this must be the problem?!?

Is there a test I can do to ascertain that it is the switch before I buy a new one?
Do they just screw in and out? ie. can I replace it with everything insitu?

Cheers

you could remove the wire off the switch and earth it to the engine, this should prove the lamp is working, so then most probably the switch.

The switch is on a tapered thread, so when fitting a new one dont over tighten it or else you'll damage the threads, like I did :oops:

Worse than that, by overtightening you can crack the crankcase. I know only too well - I'm now running in my replacement engine :(

I was told to do it up finger tight, then nip it up no more than 1/4 turn. A smear of Hylomar Blue may not go amiss (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers,
Nick

Nick is spot on, I know 2 people who have cracked engine cases over tightening the oil pressure switch, its on a tapered thread.

It could be you pressure switch is just gunged up, take it out and wash the port out with some thinners or petrol.

Latest posts