OK Here we go again... my '69 Early Bay Camper project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do we put ourselves through this :shock:

Look forward to the next installment next year then - have a good one ;)

Not sure if 'enjoy' is the right word, but I'm fasinated by this type of resto thread - and the different approaches people have from the 'make do and mend and enjoy what I have' to the 'lets strip back and see what I'm really dealing with'
Each to there own, but my hat is always off to those that have the skills and resolve to put these great buses back on the road in near perfect condition -

Great stuff and look forward to following the developments in 2010

OK Early Bay'ers....

Not got too much time but heres a quickie update:

The long prepwork continues and we have finally laid some paint! Check out the front bumper assembly...

ST-bumper.jpg

ST-bumper-2.jpg

The colour is a custom mix, based on Ford ST Electric Orange. As there is a pigment problem with Ford ST Electric Orange you have to spray the majority of the vehicle in one hit rather than a door here, a panel there or you can have issues with colour match. Pain in rear end BUT has to be done. At least the bumpers we can get away with as they are detached more.

Theres always something exiting about a project when the first bit of paint goes on!!

Bling city 8) :shock:

What about the rest of the vehicle then - the same colour?

Same colour all the way up past the swage line and up to the roof guttering (just to be a little different) then Ford Diamond White as seen on the Series One RS Turbos, piercing white) on the very roof top, with the black rag-top. Thats a whole heap of ST Electric Orange / Custom gold paint and with the bumpers matching it'll visially lower the whole van even more than I intend doing so. Should REALLY set off the planned chrome fuch's!

Chrome brightwork like the badge and bolts etc..

Looks great, amazing work so far. Can't wait to see the rest of the bus in paint.

Do you know the paint code for the rolls colour you used on your split? My bay's in for a respray at the moment & that's just the colour I'm after.

Cheers

Dave

Dave M said:
Looks great, amazing work so far. Can't wait to see the rest of the bus in paint.

Do you know the paint code for the rolls colour you used on your split? My bay's in for a respray at the moment & that's just the colour I'm after.

Cheers

Dave

Cant remember the code buddy but there was only one Rolls Royce Turquoise THAT much I do remember! :lol:

Johnny said:
sounds like a wild paint job. is there a mild flip in it?

Theres a "Flipp - in this and a flipp-ing that and a f**king this and a f......

:lol:

Serious answer, YES ever so slightly as you can tell by the pics. VERY happy with the ways its turned out.

That paintjob sounds like it will look the nuts. Cant wait to see the Pictures.

Making good progress! :)

Del

how did you get on with the roof? looked like you needed some complete new sections?

Not had an update for a while now but you know how it is..... you get to that stage of prepping where progress is very slow and not much to show for it in the pictures but here are a few snaps taken over the past month....

Note that we ended up finding SO MANY coats of (unsanded) paints overlapped onto each other that in the end it was easier to get the heat gun on it!!! I kid you not! :lol:

More pics to come as we are starting to apply the cosmetic (not bodged repairs this time!!) filler and complete more repairs...

Bay-bare.jpg

Bay3.jpg

Bay2.jpg

Bay2.jpg

And here... awaiting me ripping it out in a couple of weekends time... THE ENGINE! lol Not sure what we are doing with it yet, perhaps for now a mini rebuild with 1641 barrels and maybe a cam and some carbs. I'd like a monster engine but I think being realistic its an expense for maybe a year or so down the line as the restoration is costing enough as it is for the time being....

Bay5.jpg

HORRIBLE Monza 4-tip coming STRAIGHT OFF and a much cooler glasspack going on.... BRING THE NOISE! :lol:

Looks like it will a very cool bus when its done
Whats the plan for the wheels as its going to take something a little special to set the paint work off

froggy said:
Looks like it will a very cool bus when its done
Whats the plan for the wheels as its going to take something a little special to set the paint work off

REEEEEEEAAAAAALY undecided at the moment. Was dead set on Fuch's back when I started the project but the Volksworld show this year taught me just how many show cars are wearing them this season and so I have changed my mind and kinda reverted back to the raiders...... liked the idea of a dark set of burners on it but then I dont think it'd look right with the narrowed beam. Decisions decisions.......

Cant wait to see this in paint,I had an MG Midget painted the same colour .
The colour change/flip is amazing especially when the sun is low all the bronze/gold colour comes through 8) .
Good to see some progress :D

OK its been FAR TOO LONG since I last touched this vehicle... progress has been very slow as I have been overseas on and off working on my U.S property project.... that and paying for a big wedding which happens in 4 weeks time!!!

HOWEVER, a small update, I have the engine sorted.... Spec is as follows..

1641 Type 1 engine, (rebuilt only 5k miles ago)
New case,
New crank,
New heads,
Lightened fly wheel,
Equaliser front pully,
110 cam shaft
34 ict's

Should be torque'y enough to shift it around until I can afford a monster engine! lol To be fair not even sure if I want to go big on the engine, its never going to be a 1/4 mile stormer and I already have a fast engine in my daily, a 5.5 V8 CL55 AMG if I want that sort of thing! lol

SO....this should suffice.

SO slowly the project starts once more.......

Welcome back and the engine sounds nice.

Nice Merc - love V8's as my daily is a V8 also :mrgreen:

WOW! a proper job man,

A lot of people would have just cruised the bus as a tidy looking red and white camper :lol:

The paint on the bumper looks sweet!! is that going on the roof as well or the whole bus?

Latest posts