Onboard tool kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araon

Reaction score
Right need to carry a few I suppose whilst I'm out and about...

Suggestions please for a minimalistic quality set of tools to have in the van, I will be using the spare well (no wheel in there) so have limited space....Need common tools peeps have found invaluable whilst out on there travels include a few spares as well cheers for your help in advance.....
:D :D :D

I have thought long and hard about what tools to carry and other than a telescopic wheel brace, a universal screw driver, a trolley jack, fuel can, some fuses and some bulbs, I decided that an AA card was the best tool I can carry. I just give everything a full check before I go on a long run.

I tend to carry the following tools;

Wheel brace
Screwdrivers (flat head and cross head)
Sockets and ratchet spanners (10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, spark plug socket)
WD40
Needle nose pliers
Wire snips
Jack

And some spares;
Wire and terminals
Bulbs
Coil
Jubilee clips
Zip ties

Zip ties, yes! Every time I go to the carboot sale I buy a pack of 50 - my wife groans but the smug look is wiped off her face when I fix things around the house with them or use them to make toys for the grandkids!!!

;)

I am a learning amateur on this topic but now carry small and medium sized mole wrenches and allen keys in a set bought at a petrol station - if nothing else I fitted my roofrack at Vanfest with them! I've also made use of a socket set & various screwdrivers.

The spares I have at the moment are clutch and throttle cables, fanbelts (both alternator and normal just in case someone else needs the normal one!), spark plugs and HT cables plus the usual set of bulbs etc. I'll be checking what other people add to this thread as well.

Plus a gallon of oil - first time I stopped when I passed a guy stuck on the side of the road that is what he needed and I'd just emptied my reserve into my own van before starting out.

Spark plugs yeah I want to get one of those plug holders that fits to the fan tin just not sure how securely they keep them (not seen any for a while) anyone know where I can get one.

Have just changed the oil on the van and found a set of normal box spanners with some of those white gloves packed in the wrap tucked away for future use. My reasoning worked when the AA came to a carb problem. When the guy saw I'd come as prepared as I could he tried for ages to sort the problem on the roadside.

Mike, I knew you were a gent... The true spirit of VW ownership lives on

Actually it's just that I didn't chuck it out when I had the alternator conversion done but if you want to think I'm a gent carry on!

I don't see the point in carrying all this stuff...

HT leads should be checked and replaced as part of a service, if they pack up on a journey they weren't checked when they should have been. The fan belt should be checked weekly as should the oil. If a fan belt is in poor enough condition to snap, I doubt it has been cooling the motor for a while. Spark plugs, points, condenser, dissy cap and rotor should be checked every 3,000 miles when you change you oil and replaced or adjusted as required. This is also true of throttle, clutch cables and all the fuel lines. I give my bus a rigourous check every 3,000, the oil and belt weekly. IMHO getting into that level of repair on the side of a motorway is just a recipe for a shorter life.

I carry all the usual spares, plugs, points, condensor ,fan belt, set of open ended spanners, various screw drivers, adjustable spanners , large and small, hammer, side cutters ,pliers, long nose pliers , feeler gauges, insulating tape, wire ,strong fencing wire, oil , rag ,latex gloves , and I wasnt a boy scout. :) I also have full AA cover .

ive also got a spare dizzy and top pulley just incase. but i do a lot of driving in the middle or europe on holiday and dont have a clue what the french for top pulley is!

Ah! spent some time working in france so may be able to help you there

I NEED A TOP PULLEY MATE

UNDERSTANDEZ FRENCHEY

Don't be silly Araon, its Le top pulley, Like Le van is my bus and le fish and chips is, please many I have some fish and chips kind sir :D

Latest posts