Opinions on directions to Staffordshire, who knows the A5?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyO

Reaction score
*Apologies if this should be in events, I considered this more general*

Opinions on route, going to CJAM from Essex:

Option 1 - M25 > M1 > M6 > A5 (178 miles)
OR
Option 2 - M25 > M1 > A5 (175 miles)

In a car the difference is big Opt. 1: 3hrs 18 vs. Opt. 2: 4hrs 15 - but in a camper, not so much I would guess....any one know the A5? think it may be a nicer drive and as I can only do 55 / 60 mph would it make much difference???

The A5 from the M1 is a mixture of Dual Carriageway, Single Track etc with quite a few roundabouts and speed cameras along the way, reasonably pleasant but can be slow at times. depending where you join it passes Hinckley, nuneaton, MIRA proving ground, Tamworth etc etc, not a bad road but its your choice really.

The bit from the M6 is mainly single track and again gets busy,

The M1 is a b*&%$d from M25 to Milton Keynes anyway, add another hour

I'd go up the M40

valbarley said:
The M1 is a b*&%$d from M25 to Milton Keynes anyway, add another hour

I'd go up the M40

Not from Essex as that means going around the M25 even further, can you do M11, A14 as usually clearer than M1

Cheers for the input, drove to North Wales last weekend and had no issues on that streatch of the M1 - leaving at the same time, on the same day of the week as well so I'll think I'll risk it. Indeed M40 is an arse to get to for me.

Think I am going to go A5, we drive these for pleasure, so another hour in the captains seat should be seen as a bonus, right? :?

The motorway journey is just depressing.

Latest posts