Original Dormobile internal flooring material.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie524

Reaction score
Hi folks - does anyone know what the original flooring material in the rear of a Dormobile looked like please?

I have recently done mine in self adhesive vinyl planks, which are fine as a stop-gap but I can't help wondering what the original material would have been. I can't seem to find any photos.

Cheers all, Rich

The carpet was laid on a hardboard panel cut to fit - inside the raised section by the door and butting up to the furniture (not going under it). The edge by the door, the carpet lay directly onto the metal and was held in place by the aluminium edging strip.

I still have the hardboard "underlay" that Trikky mentioned.

"Vynolay" Lino - from my 71 Dormy. I have seen this on 2 other very original Dormys which the owners thought was original though none of my VW Dormobile brochures show it - they all seem to show carpet which is how most folks spec'd their vans I guess.

A few pics of price lists from my brochure collection - it seems 68, 69 and 70 models could be spec'd with green Lino. I think the Lino like mine must have been 71 on - of the 2 original Dormys I saw with the white / gold / black lino was a 71 the other a 72. Not sure if it carried through to late bays.

Nice info there Fortunate Son :)

I don't remember seeing Lino on original dormys but I would have considered it a very practical alternative at the time.

Pattern, You got me, I don't know :lol:

Fantastic information, cheers guys!

I suppose I could hope for a close match - I'm unlikely to get any identical, I wouldn't have thought, unless I get some printed at staggering expense.

The hardboard bit had been replaced on mine (with another (much more recent) hardboard effigy which had been very roughly cut to shape - I have made a much more precise new one using 3.8mm ply, and as you say, up to the furniture, but not underneath it, I could tell from the hole various positions that was the original intent.

Yeah, surely that must have been an option if you have seen other vehicles with the exact same lino, that goes beyond coincidence...

I need an Aluminium edging strip next...

Ta, all good info!

R

Really interesting those brochures - so Velvet Green (i.e. mine) was only for 1968 and was dropped after that.

And as an original Kombi - all one colour up to the roof line.

And Vinolay was a no-additional-charge extra.

Fascinating!

Latest posts