original heating

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbennett79

Reaction score
Hi there, I've just bought a 69 bay camper and I'm a bit wet behind the ears on all things technical. I'm currently trying to work out how the original heating mechanisms work?? Any tips would be appreciated. It has the 2 red and the 2 blue sliders and then there's a vent switch under the dash and then one under my seat. I only seem to be able to get cold air blowing out??

Thanks

Rick

First check your heat exchangers are connected with the cables going toward the front, and the levers and flaps on heat exchangers are moving when your red levers on the dash are moved. Up is off, on the levers.
You should be getting heat if all connected right.
Unless you have j tubes and no exchangers, or your cables may be snapped. Fun job!!
The lever under dash is for feet or windscreen
The lever under front seat is for floor level vent toward rear seat
The vents under rear seat if you have them , have their own levers on or off
I have diagrams showing all this but photo bucket not playing ball sorry :roll:

Blue is cold...comes in from grill at front, so the faster you go, the more cold air you get. There is two flaps, left and right so each lever controls a side, this air comes out of side most window vents or the two round vents on the dash.

Red is warm/hot, this air comes from the cooling fan driving over the heat exchangers which envelop two of the exhaust manifolds. Each lever controls the amount of air from each heat exchanger - however the pipes combine under the van so both levers just mean more warm air. The heat exchangers need to be there (some replace them with j tubes so you don't get heating) also need to be connected to the pipes under the van. Also the red controls pull on wires which connect to flaps on the end of the heat exchangers which often jam or the wires break. So if the controls are stiff or you don't get any warmth the wires or flaps need some attention.
As the hot comes from the engine fan...the more revs, the more hot air...so tick over is a bit pathetic!

The lever under you seat diverts a bit of the hot air to a small strip in the floor behind and below the two front seats. There is another pipe here which can break so you can loose all your hot air...most leave this control pushes in.

The leaver under the dash in the middle chooses whether the hot air to the front hits the screen or comes out of two vents by your knees.

Also hot air can be diverted under the back seats...lift it up and have a look. Most people again have these blocked off.

Golden rule with hot air is if you smell fumes don't use it...if you have exhaust leaks you can feed carbon monoxide into the cabin...I have a battery powered CO monitor in the cab at all times.

Most people stay the heating in not great, but if adjusted properly you can use your van quite successfully over the winter!

Enjoy...

Red levers down will put the heat on.
And the same action for cold with regard the blue.

The switch under your dash on the totem pole is to allow or stop the heat from blowing on your feet.

The other switch near the base of your seat opens and closes the vent at the end of the walk through (blowing into the rear)

If your only getting cold I would suggest checking the pipe work under the van.
You have 2 plastic corrugated pipes from the heat exchangers to the van, these feed a large pipe that runs down the centre of the van and should be lagged.
You then have a corrugated pipe that comes of this under the walk through area between the drivers and passenger seat.
The metal pipe then continues and rises up through the cab floor to the totem pole, at the top of this there is a selection of plastic pipes that go to the windscreen vents and the dash vents.

If you have a look on the samba.com all the handbooks have been scanned onto there and will give you instructions on heating operation.
All the best
Sam.

I'm loving this forum for help and advice! Cheers everyone, hopefully I won't be needing to wear my gloves to drive for too much longer! ;)

Latest posts