original paint 70 westy hardtop, "The Lunch Box"

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squareweave said:
Just bought and drove the bus home 1000 miles from San Jose California. Found it on thesamba.com. I will share the story when I have more time. All original paint. Plans are to buff the paint, powdercoat the bumpers and wheels and drive it as is.

441100.jpg

441101.jpg

Hey, very nice bus there. I was just looking at your pics and noticed your bus parked at the farmers co-op here in my hometown of Roseburg, OR :) . Just had my bus parked in that exact spot last week :lol: Beautiful bus, congrats!

Conrad

Well , i'm going to dig this one up again. This is the first baywindow I bought and have never really driven it. I guess the drive home from California counts but thats it. I basically brought it home and put it into storage soon after. I have monkeyed around with various other aircooled cars but this one has just sat parked indoors since 2008. Back when I bought it I thought that I would replace everything with nice new parts but my taste has been refined since then and have been collecting NOS or nice original parts for it. I want to try to keep it original as possible and mechanically sound. Its a nice clean OG paint bus that I think will be great to have all cleaned up for camping trips. Right now its loaded with alot of the stuff I have purchased for it over the years (I started doing that so I wouldn't misplace some of the parts I was collecting for it). I probably won't be getting into it too heavy until late December as I have a few project to do before then.

Here are a few pics and will will be slowly updating this thread as I get into it.

Last fall when I moved it from its long time storage

7.00r14 Bias ply tires with correct load rating

original Cibie iodes, found them in some old Porsche 914 assemblies

Original Westfalia Baywindow specific woodslat rack

This was one of the pics from the previous owners add, when I saw the clean front floors it was over

I even bought a complete 70 poptop that was rusty for little bits and pieces. This bus was rusty but has every original nut, bolt cap etc that a 70 should have. It was local and complete with interior so I bought it.

The theme of this build will be to keep as much original stuff as possible with a heavy hand on detailing

Nice one - I wish I had the money, time and storage like you appear to have.............. :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Nice one - I wish I had the money, time and storage like you appear to have.............. :mrgreen:

Money? nope
Time? Yes
Storage? Not really

With no kids and the job I have it allows me to play with these old clunkers in my time off. As far as money goes i'm like the rest of us, it's just a balance. I am more than happy driving a 90's Nissan pick up as a daily to allow me to have a few of these.

I remember trying to buy this all that time ago .And you still not finished it yet bud, looking forward to seeing this done. The beater is a work or art bud

Buss69 said:
Looking forward to this buddy. Are you going off-road with this one, those tyres are huge?

They must just look that way in the picture. They are stock sized 7.00r14 cross plies. With the proper load rating for a heavy camper :D

Latest posts