Our 1970 VW Camper, in need of lots of Love

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulandabbe

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thought i'd say hello while I am waiting for some paint to dry, This is the first camper we as a family have had, my son 9yrs has been nagging me to get a vw, so because of him and the rest of us wanting some fun we purchased one on ebay, with mot till next Aug, but how this ever past an mot I will never know, its chassis has been filled with sealer and painted over and its so badly bodged underneath, there are holes everywhere, I pushed my hand through the chassis in a few places, the lights don't even work and the brakes are really bad, I got it from Kent and drove it back in the dark to Street, Somerset , with only parking lights you can imagine it wasn't the best journey, no wipers either, but I had fell in love with her and am trying my best to sort her out, I don't know much about these but am picking up on a few things, I gave £3000 for her with about 11month mot, unsure how bad the deal was but knowing what i know now I'm glad I got the early bay they look so cool with the little lights on the back and low indicators on the front, (no disrepect ment to anyone), I think the best way forward is to say it needs alot of love, ;0)

Here's a few photo's of work being done on a buget by us. I am trying to get her a little more respectable so we can go to the coast on xmas morning for a bbq and a laugh.
Will keep adding them as we do some work on her.

VWCamper006.jpg

I had to cut away the bottom part of this and fold some metal weld and skim in, unsure if this was the correct thing to do, isn't imaculate job but hopefull will look better than it was.

VWCamper016.jpg

VWCamper017.jpg

paulandabbe said:
I am trying to get her a little more respectable so we can go to the coast on xmas morning for a bbq and a laugh.

What an excellent idea! hope u got your thermals! :p

Hi!

Welcome!! I am not too far from you, just outside Wincanton, and there is another early bay owner on the forum - he is in Street also!!

Of course we all need pictures to see what your bus looks like. and how you're getting on with it?

Cheers!

Alistair

welcome paul
i am from street we live in green lane av,if you fancy look and chat give us a shout
not that i know anything about the bloody things,just that you cant stop looking at em :wink:

cheers rich

Just come in from undercoating some doors etc, its bloomin cold, didn't know there was another vw bay in Street, awsome, a few more pics of our bay.

She looks like shes smiling 80)
VWCamper007.jpg

VWCamper010.jpg

This should be a link for our photobucket thingy http://photobucket.com/paulandabbe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dubman24 said:
paulandabbe said:
I am trying to get her a little more respectable so we can go to the coast on xmas morning for a bbq and a laugh.

What an excellent idea! hop u got your thermals! :p

No I better ask for some for xmas, and unwrap them quickly before we go as there's no signs of any heat in the bus :D

keep it going you might be ready for next sunday :wink:

did you see the pic in your pm :?:

robins said:
keep it going you might be ready for next sunday :wink:

did you see the pic in your pm :?:

Thanks for that, yours looks superfine, not full of rust like mine, I would love to see it soon, but at the moment I'm really going for it with our bus to get it looking better for Xmas, had a few problems today with the tailgate i sprayed up being the later bay type, catch up with you soon, thanks paul

Had a bad day with the camper, it turns out that the rear tailgate I sprayed up was for a later bay and won't fit our's, such a shame as it was mint no rot, I really don't know much about these camper's :( , but hopefully will not mess up much more, I also brought a set of wheels for a early bay that didn't fit, they were for drum brakes and not ours, nevermind I will put them on ebay and see if anyone has a need for them both, good news is I got another tailgate so shall try to paint it up tommorrow, also today cut the nsf floor and will be sorting it out soon, a few pics for all of you to peep at, thanks

This was the tailgate that came off the bus
VWCamper053.jpg

and the one we sprayed put on the van
VWCamper052.jpg

VWCamper048.jpg

VWCamper051.jpg

nice work finding the other tail gate,so quick where did you find it 8)

cheers rich

robins said:
nice work finding the other tail gate,so quick where did you find it 8)

cheers rich

Hello, I actually had 2 but sprayed the wrong one not knowing it wouldn't fit, been busy lately finding more rot in the vw, how did the bristol cruise go, hope alls well and I must make time and see your vw soon, thanks Paul

A few more photos

VWCamper067.jpg

VWCamper066.jpg

VWCamper064.jpg

Just ordered new repair panel for windscreen so should have it done by end of week, I didn't expect it to be this bad when I poped the windscreen out, at least the welding should keep me warm out there in the cold, happy Christmas too to all.

Having problems with this tailgate, have sorted out the little bit of rot in it, but what ever paint was on here reacts with the celloluse I'm spaying, I think I will have to strip it all off and start again
VWCamper061.jpg

VWCamper048.jpg

VWCamper060.jpg

VWCamper051.jpg

VWCamper059.jpg

Toad said:
Doing some good work there!
Just wanted to say Hi, as I live in Glastonbury and have a J reg Danbury! :D

Wow, Same age and model as mine, and so close! that's cool 8) , We were wondering if we had seen it going about, have you a photo on here or elsewhere we can have a peep at? I bet mines got more rust than yours lol, cheers dude for cheering us up, hope to meet up oneday, cheers Paul

Latest posts