Overhead Lockers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbaldo

Reaction score
Whilst waiting for parts, thought it would be a good idea to plan the interior I have to build after xmas.

Overhead lockers, the kind you build at the rear of the bus inside.

Do people bang their heads off these regularly when sitting up etc?

Just trying to balance storage with practicality

Using a full width bed if this affects anything

Pros and Cons People?

We have an original Campmobile/Westy interior in our van. It has a full width bed with the rear overhead (aka the 'Head Banger) locker.

Initialy we slept with our heads at the rear of the van underneath the locker. It was OK but, I think, on night two at 3am I sat up and clobbered by forehead. If it wasn't so funny (initially) I would have normally been annoyed - so I laughed!

Having said that, we persisted and continued to sleep this way round for many nights and several trips away. I became more adept at linboeing my way out from underneath said locker. My OH is slim so had less head strikes than I. I am not a big chap but after a few more head injuries I became mightly pissed off with this arrangement so we now sleep the other way round and (for me at least) all is good. It does not cause head injuries when the bed is is closed as a seat.

With regard to practicalities - I find that the locker is really useful and gives some good storage space. Ours also has a small shelf at the rear which is accesed via the open tailgate.

yeah there called the head banger for a reason, mine came with the cargo net setup that works well

p.s. we dont sleep with the tyre anymore :lol:

Wow, I love that cargo netting set up, looks very practical.

And right now I am entertaining going back to a camper, and there is a lovely Early tin top which I like the look of, but I was concerned about it's practicalities. If I did go down that road then I might be copying that cargo net idea.

damo said:
Wow, I love that cargo netting set up, looks very practical.

And right now I am entertaining going back to a camper, and there is a lovely Early tin top which I like the look of, but I was concerned about it's practicalities. If I did go down that road then I might be copying that cargo net idea.

it is very good we store load up there blankets etc. it came with the bus i think they're a westy weekender thing

Cargo net was a 68 only Westy Feature, they went to a head banger after that

Graham L said:
Cargo net was a 68 only Westy Feature, they went to a head banger after that

make sense everything on mine is a 68 but registered in Feb 69, probably made from all the leftovers :lol: :lol:

kept it above the window height and only about 40cm deep, don't obscure rear view and I ain't bashed my noggin yet and I'n a 6 footer :D

lemur said:
kept it above the window height and only about 40cm deep, don't obscure rear view and I ain't bashed my noggin yet and I'n a 6 footer :D

Love that :) did you make it?

Wish I could claim such lovely carpentry skills but sadly no, SJH joinery made it along with the rest of my interior.
....but I hope it helps with your planning.
Liam.

lemur said:
Wish I could claim such lovely carpentry skills but sadly no, SJH joinery made it along with the rest of my interior.
Liam.

Looks like a really good job! did they fit it as well or did you do it?

:mrgreen:

I think the nets are 68 and 69.

In fairness, I guess they were ok when new and they were 'taught' but they aren't very useful.

I used to have a couple of the later Westy units in other vans - the earlier open shelf and the deep locker with the door and they were much more practical, headbanging did occur though :)

easy said:
lemur said:
Liam.

they made and fitted it all, bus went pretty much from paintshop to sjh, cabinets all made in lightweight beech and veneered in oak and pearl white formica :)

lemur said:
easy said:
lemur said:
Liam.

they made and fitted it all, bus went pretty much from paintshop to sjh, cabinets all made in lightweight beech and veneered in oak and pearl white formica :)

Great job done! looks ace!

Latest posts