Painting a pop-top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gung

Reaction score
Just wondered if you needed to use a special kind of paint?
Mine looks like it's never had any paint on it.

They were finished in Gel coat which is a pigmented resin coat as used on surfboards and the like. If the gel coat is in good condition it should polish with appropriate buffing compound. Otherwise just falt and paint with whatever you fancy dependent on what finish you want.

I was told by one of the body shop technician at work that fiber glass needs a special primer and paint mixed to alow for flex, apparently this can be done with additives to the paint.

Ian

Hi
Cheers guys.
I think my Pop-top is probably beyond a rubbing compound & a polish! But may try a small area to see.
Has anyone on here already painted their's? Would love to know what you used & how it turned out.
Cheers
A.

my friend im repairing in the same shed as, painted his dormy roof with coach paint and it cracked and lifted inside a month :(

Used white hamerite smooth.
Worked a treat,no peeling or problems.
Was good for the 2years before i sold it :mrgreen:

Hoosier said:
Used white hamerite smooth.
Worked a treat,no peeling or problems.
Was good for the 2years before i sold it :mrgreen:

Hi
Did you brush it on?
cheers
A.

I've tried a small area with Rubbing compund & polish!
I'm pleasantly surprised at the result & today the polished bit is the only area of the pop-top repelling the rain!
It may take a while & some elbow grease but think I may do it all.
Cheers Guys
Angela.

noddy said:
I was told by one of the body shop technician at work that fiber glass needs a special primer and paint mixed to alow for flex, apparently this can be done with additives to the paint.

Ian

Makes sense - if you paint a flexible surface with non flexible paint - one will move, the other won't! = crack and fall off in chunks.

Flat down as normal then use etching primer followed by a few coats of high build then paint with 2pack . done this several times never had any paint peel or crack .

I was thinking of trying this.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index2.cfm?page=products&prodId=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says its flexible, looks like it might do a job as long as it does not turn yellow.
I dont know how easy it is to brush on

Latest posts