Dormobile folks and pop tops.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Im thinking of putting some kind of covering on the inside of my dormy roof because it just looks a bit tatty to me even though its painted ? I have a few things in mind but need in spiration. Cheers. 🙂🤙.

I used a bright white fibreglass boat paint. Really brightened up the interior. Sorry can’t remember the brand.

Not sure how great the interior finish is. It’s gotta be pretty smooth if you want to viny wrap it or it’ll show every mark and won’t stay up there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, gotta be smmoooth :) :cool: :)

Hey folks. Oh my god im the most indecisive sod ever for redoing inside my pop top roof. Ive gone from right its going to be vinyl then hmm maybe paint yeah paint, NO vinyl would be better, lets get a couple of rolls. Hmm. No Gaz gloss paint in cream is the one you need, ooh now how about fabric. No paint PAINT and thats final! Then back to vinyl and now currently paint. Got a head ache now 😕. ITS PAINT GAZ!. Final answer 🙂🤙.

I had a look in a couple of Dormy topped vans on the weekend. I see what Wiggy is saying about raw fibreglass. It is extremely primitive in the finishing department and with the best will in the world, I can’t see stretch fabric staying on there because of the contours going every which way through the roof and the industrial texture of the fibreglass. if it was mine,,,,,,
id paint it white, then I’d spray or brush over stencils to form a collage of bright pastel colours. I’d make a stencil like the bonnet of a beetle but just partial then a partial front of a split and the same with both types of bay and probably a half crescent air vent and a chunk of T25 too. Then I’d overlay with different pale colours to form a bright camo detail that wouldn’t show until you pointed out what the different shapes were.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,it’ll be ace I tell ya :cool::cool::cool:

I painted mine white with a flexible paint. Came out like a silk finish. Used a sponge roller. Did it before fitting new canvas. Still looks ok now. 🌈👍

I had a look in a couple of Dormy topped vans on the weekend. I see what Wiggy is saying about raw fibreglass. It is extremely primitive in the finishing department and with the best will in the world, I can’t see stretch fabric staying on there because of the contours going every which way through the roof and the industrial texture of the fibreglass. if it was mine,,,,,,
id paint it white, then I’d spray or brush over stencils to form a collage of bright pastel colours. I’d make a stencil like the bonnet of a beetle but just partial then a partial front of a split and the same with both types of bay and probably a half crescent air vent and a chunk of T25 too. Then I’d overlay with different pale colours to form a bright camo detail that wouldn’t show until you pointed out what the different shapes were.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,it’ll be ace I tell ya :cool::cool::cool:
Hey @ozziedog . I nave ditched the fabric idea and its going to be paint when i can decide ha. Your idea sounds really wild and very cool though. Hmmm. In my bus though im not sure if i went all arty it would work. Or would it 🤔. Oh here we go again ha 😬.

Hey @ozziedog . I nave ditched the fabric idea and its going to be paint when i can decide ha. Your idea sounds really wild and very cool though. Hmmm. In my bus though im not sure if i went all arty it would work. Or would it 🤔. Oh here we go again ha 😬.

But,,,don’t forget, it’s only paint, so once you’ve got some decent paint on it’s just a matter of wiping off with a scourer type pad then a wipe down with cloth and spirit or panel wipes then paint again. If you wanted to be semi committed, when you mask off the windows and rubbers, mask about an inch in to the roof itself so when you do your stencils you’ll have an inch of shite paint as a ‘ frame ‘ around the windows. If you really didn’t like it or got fed up with it it’d be so easy to wipe it and paint straight over agsin.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,only paint :unsure::unsure::cool::cool::unsure::unsure::cool::cool::unsure::unsure:

But,,,don’t forget, it’s only paint, so once you’ve got some decent paint on it’s just a matter of wiping off with a scourer type pad then a wipe down with cloth and spirit or panel wipes then paint again. If you wanted to be semi committed, when you mask off the windows and rubbers, mask about an inch in to the roof itself so when you do your stencils you’ll have an inch of shite paint as a ‘ frame ‘ around the windows. If you really didn’t like it or got fed up with it it’d be so easy to wipe it and paint straight over agsin.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,only paint :unsure::unsure::cool::cool::unsure::unsure::cool::cool::unsure::unsure:
This is true. Maybe one day ha. Got my arty side going now though 🙂🤙.

My Dormobile had been painted with emulsion by the previous owner horrible so I just gloss painted it with Dulux once still looks good after about 8 years!

Hey folks. Well after my quick decision 😳😬 to choose what I was going to do, here's the almost end result and taken me the best part of the day to do. Did other bits and pieces too. Ocd was to strong ha. No word of a lie Johnstones satin cream paint for wood and metal is very good to use. 🙂🤙.

Attachments

• 20230907_194729.jpg
    20230907_194729.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230907_194816.jpg
    20230907_194816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230907_194837.jpg
    20230907_194837.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Looks great, perhaps a litt too clean for my liking. Maybe to improve things , you could go and get your O C D checked out and then it’ll be fine.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Or C. D. O. For purists :) ;);):)

Latest posts