Petrol tank refurb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi,

Had my tank out and used the kit from VW aircooled works to clean and coat it.

Looking at the metal length of filler neck it is also rusty. I can clean the flaky rust with a brush, but have people coated this with anything?

Also the outlet nut underneath the tank has a small length of straw size pipe in it. Again looks a little rusty. Can these be replaced?

Finally.... Metal length of filler neck also had a piece of rubberised material between the flange of the neck and bus body it bolts to. Does anyone know if u can get replacements?

Thanks for advice
Craig
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/shoddy73/EB61D1BD-BF3D-4812-8A85-BF469EA87FDB_zps43nuzrov.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hi shoddy,
have you coated the tank with por15 or similar. you could use some of the same stuff on the filler neck if you have any left. don't paint it with any acrylic/2k or celli paint as it will peel. you can remove all the rust with an acid treatment such as kb rustblast or jenolite or phosphoric acid , but be careful with these products, wear ppe as they burn skin as well as remove rust. then coat with engine oil a few times and wipe off with a rag, this may give a little protection.
you can get a new fuel outlet noodle and the tank filler gasket at the usual jk, heritage etc, or ebay. the noodle comes in 6mm or 8mm, get the one that suits the inlet on your fuel pump.

i did a full refurb on my tank and filler/breather and supply pipes last year. while you have the tank out replace your breather and supply hoses with 100 per cent biofuel hose. it's well worth it. i replaced most of the supply hose with stainless steel tube and just have a small 3 inch piece of hose where needed to connect the two lengths together at the bulkhead and at each end on to the tank noodle and the fuel pump. the main aim was not to have rubber hose above the heat exchangers.

cheers
dave

Thanks for advice Dave!

Think it may have to be the wipe with a bit of engine oil solution as all my POR kit was used in the tank.

Where did you source the bio fuel line from out of interest?

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig,
Bought the hose from Advanced Fluid Solutions. they are a reputable online supplier, and on ebay as well I think. Branded, genuine Cohline hose, flouro-lined it's the best quality but is expensive at £18+ per metre. I got the same stuff in 3 sizes to fit the supply, small breather and larger filler pipe breather on my '72. Avoid Justkampers for hose, I bought a metre of Codan branded hose from them supposedly ethanol resistant, it stunk of cheap rubber and upon investigating I found it was fake. Got a refund Ok but if they couldn't see it was snide I won't buy hose from them again.
Good luck

Hi All, just thought I'd give an update on my tank filler neck. Asked Peter @ VW Aircooled Works if he could help. He said if I got it to him he could coat it for me. He ended up powder coating and applying POR treatment due to the internal pitting. Most impressed with http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/shoddy73/2B7E4329-D9C4-4CDA-A92F-B1D9171588E1_zpsgpavvf7l.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/shoddy73/D045263D-C002-46A9-BA9F-B37E11775D14_zps5npdm2yx.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've bought one of his fire extinguisher kits, fuel cut off solenoid, tank treatment and bio hose kits.... he's more than happy to offer advice and comes highly recommended by me :0)

Cheers
Craig

When I pulled my tank out to check it all I also struggled to find a filler neck to body gasket.

In the end I went to a tyre depot and bought a flexible universal gasket kit, i.e. an inner tube from a wheel-barrow and made my own.

The por15 tank sealer is really good

However it should be noted that their degreaser is just potassium hydroxide which is used in a lot of pound shop drain cleaners

The metal prep is just phosphoric acid

You can buy this off eBay for pence compared to the por15 stuff.

Comes in 80% strength, most rust killers are only 20% solution so you can make an aweful lot from one bottle.

Latest posts