plywood panels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDD106G

Reaction score
Hi has any body fitted birch plywood headlining is this a straight forward job and where can it be brought from .

cheers ian

So long as you have the u channel intact down the sides of the bus (someone had removed some of mine for some strange reason??) I can highly recommend the kit from Rackhams in Ipswitch, perfect fit.

When fitting you just need to be brave. I ended up lying on the r & r bed and pushing it up with my feet. It goes in to place with a bang but looks the nuts IMHO :D

Also the aluminum "I" section that goes between the panels does not come with the kit but you can get it from strongy on this forum.

adef82f9b3daf1d7ca1ea56dc92d8baa_zpsd5de2f44.jpg

Or make your own. You can buy the 5' x 5' panels for £15 each. Much cheaper. That's what I'm going to do.

Very best of British to you!!!,
Get a pal to help you would be my advice!!
It is do able on your own but very tricky!!!

Hi DDD106G,
This is how I fitted the 3mm birch ply headlining to my '69 tintop.

http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/fitting-my-birch-ply-headlining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if you have a tintop or poptop, but it may help you.
Cheers.

sacramentobay said:
Hi DDD106G,
This is how I fitted the 3mm birch ply headlining to my '69 tintop.

http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/fitting-my-birch-ply-headlining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if you have a tintop or poptop, but it may help you.
Cheers.
very helpful answered all my questions like the plaster board trim which the plywood fits into .Ive got a 69 texas tintop just starting the interior .cheers ian

sacramentobay said:
Hi Ian,

Mine is a '69 California import... glad my blog helped you.
Dave
did you decide if you was going to make some templates and sell them :D

I did make a template of the cab section as this has all contours and cut out's in it. The middle and rear sections are pretty easy to measure as they are basically rectangle. Also it depends of if you have a rear interior light in the roof and if you have a rear hinge covers or not...

sacramentobay said:
I did make a template of the cab section as this has all contours and cut out's in it. The middle and rear sections are pretty easy to measure as they are basically rectangle. Also it depends of if you have a rear interior light in the roof and if you have a rear hinge covers or not...
Hi Dave picked up the birch ply today looks good on took 48hrs to arrive timber world oldbury .Have you fitted your floor out yet .

cheers ian

Hi Ian, glad you have your ply now... I did ply my floor, check out how:
http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/fionas-interior-makeover.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like your going to be busy over Xmas... !
Dave

Hi Dave did you double layer your plywood as theres a 9mm step in the floor levels ,iwas going to put 9mm first where the floor ribs are followed by another layer so its level with the out sides if that makes sence .ive got my on some wood flooring left over at work for the floor .

cheers ian

Hi Ian, I can't remember exactly but I think I used 6mm on the floor, then a 3/4mm layer pinned on top of that to level it out. (only because I couln't get 9mm ply)
Dave

Latest posts