Points keep closing and burning out?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I seem to have a problem with either my coil or the Dizzy. Basically I've only driven my 69 panel from Kent to Bristol when I bought her and she seemed to drive pretty well.Ive spent th last few months restoring her and whilst tidying the engine up I fitted a MSD blaster 2 coil .I also fitted new points condenser ,cap etc. The motor seems to run fine for a bit then I loose the spark at the points as the close up and are heavily burnt /pitted. I thought it might be my dizzy as I found that the vacum advance diaphragm body had got bent n damaged .my mate leant me a 009 (just to get me running ) which I fitted new points to and it started but has done the same and burnt the points n condenser out. Electrics seem OK motors not live or anything .Could it be the MSD blaster coil is to much for the stock setup?

Nah, shouldn't be. I've just been having an issue with the bug- points have been burning out in no time, last three months. Dwell is OK. Used to love points, but this has annoyed me into going electric and I've bought an accuspark unit for £30. Works well.

I've spoken to a engine builder and he's said unless using a MSD dizzy etc the coil is to powerful for the Std setup and will burn the points etc .bare in mind it's doing it in like a few minuits not months !

Yeah it will be the coil for sure, they are far higher rated and will easily burn out the points,

Just stick with a good Bosch Blue coil and you'll be fine.

Latest posts