Poor welding? ....it's awesome!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cunning plan said:
antoine said:
constructive criticism then your never gonna learn to do it right anyway. :lol:

That is the key here - 'constructive criticism', something helpful where the person can learn and do it properly because they simply may no know any different.

There is a real difference between bitching / trolling and being constructive.

For example (completely made up): "try mounting that the other way around, it will be more secure"

as opposed to: "why did you put that on there like that? It looks sh1t"

As long as we all stay constructive, great - I wouldn't want EB to turn into a bitching ground like on some forums.. :roll:

To be honest thats part of why I end up on here so much and when other forums i frequented changed servers or went quiet i left them to it, im yet to see any gratuitous slagging off of otherpeoples work on here (excepting the PO, lets face it as soon as you sell your fair game in the scapegoat stakes :lol: )

And as long as this place stays so friendly and none judgemental it will continue to be the top of my (and many others im sure) URL list in Mozillas lovely Crackfox.

But to be fair, as I've said before, don't go blaming previous owners too much. If these vans weren't "bodged" through their MOT's in the 80's and 90's they wouldn't be here now. Don't forget that a couple of hundred pounds of welding back then was probably nearly as much as the van was worth...

:lol: Yes i have seen some welding that made me cringe on a few resto threads but did not comment - guilty :lol:

i always try to point out bodges and dodgy repairs, no one has been abusive to me :lol:

sparkywig said:
But to be fair, as I've said before, don't go blaming previous owners too much. If these vans weren't "bodged" through their MOT's in the 80's and 90's they wouldn't be here now. Don't forget that a couple of hundred pounds of welding back then was probably nearly as much as the van was worth...

i agree with you mate. for every bodge it kept my bus on the road till i found it. :D

a lot of my early stuff was a bit poo, poor welder and a bit wet behind the ears. i did even think about doing it all again near the end. but if it does as many miles as my golf the only salt it will see is on my egg cob. so i hope it lasts.

sometimes it is hard to say to someone who is pouring their heart into a bus "thats just not good enough" as not many of us hold the cert to say we are qualified to do so.

but an honesty over blind encouragement policy is a good thing that will see workmanship improving.

and as gadget says tools tools tools. dont pay £100 for a gasless mig and expect to be doing anything ground breaking.

wish i'd bought a better welder sooner. :D

i have a clarke 90 amp welder and i'm teaching myself to weld. It's fine for panel work (I've not done any just practising on off cuts) as I'm waiting for my new bus to arrive, i'm practising most evening. I was a more powerful welder 150 amp plus but still single phase (plug in) as I can get good penetration on anything 2mm +

So i have some spare cash and want a good powerful mig welder that will last and i can use on the chassis etc, so what would you recommend ? Your advise is much appreciated.

I will start a welding thread with my progress and feel free to be as honest as you like. I have thick skin and would rather learn right and have good safe welds, then nice words.

thanks
Ash

p.s. Penetration :D

edited for piss poor spelling. Standard!

Yes mate,,, you got it right there. There`s some fantastic welding forums where you might want to have a look, well worth it if even just to set a new mig up that`s different to what you are used to.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s all about Penny :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

don't mind spending money for a good one, as it will still be cheaper then paying someone to do the work and I will always have uses for it. I'm a big child and will be making go karts etc :D

Got one of these at work and I bloody love it
http://www.southcoastweldingonline.co.uk/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&numRecordPosition=5&P_ID=142&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wipes the floor with the very popular (and absolute dog shit) Sealey Supermig. Only other MIG I used that I liked at much as this one was an ancient Butters machine.

I can weld and tbh I'm pretty good at it but.............................. I HATE DOING IT!!!! I dunno why but I just don't like welding, give me a Cummins Diesel engine or an automatic transmission to rebuild and I'm a happy. So any welding or bodywork on my bus is done by Dan Leech at Buswerkes and he is awesome at it 8)

dubscum said:
:( link no worky, say's I need cookies ? :?

Bad Times, anyway its a Varstroj Varmig 1800

http://www.varstroj.si/index.php/varmig-1800.200.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts