Pop tops n belly pans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trebor

Reaction score
Should all pop top body's be fitted with belly pans ? Even if there quite small and not full length ?

I have a Danbury pop-top (about 3/4 length), and a belly pan. Although I hadnt realised the 2 were in any way related...

Someone mentioned it and I've forgot where it was, something to do with cutting a hole in the roof so the belly pans stiffened the chassis. VW did it to models that we're going to be fitted with pop tops, but I've seen them fitted on a few vans without pans. Do I stay clear of them when looking to buy one ?

A lot of people remove the belly pans when doing a resto or repair, or even when they're getting worried that they might have a bit of rot on the bottom... or if they're fitting a water tank... Etc etc. They can be a water trap and they stop you seeing what the underside of your van is really like.

My advice, take it into account but don't be afraid if there isn't one there. Just make sure the chassis, floor, sills aren't rotten, and factor in about £200 to buy and have one fitted if you want to.

The thing to do, and what I forgot on my latest project, is to weld captive nuts into the bottom of the inner sills and outriggers. You can then paint them and the belly pans. No good if you're not doing a resto though.;)

Yes it's possible to find ones with belly pans and no hole in the roof.
Two reasons.
All the ones destined for converters were specified to have them but of course there were some conversions where there was no elevating roof fitted.
They were often fitted to vehicles destined for "developing" countries and, in addition, when ordering one the purchaser could specify them in any market.
They were, for instance, recommended by the factory on vehicles that were often used with full loads in difficult conditions.

On the other hand there are also vehicles with an elevating roof and no belly pans. This happened when aftermarket converters put conversions/elevating roofs on vehicles brought in by the customer.

Having a big hole in the roof and no belly pans does not mean you vehicle will snap in two but you will notice it is subject to more body flex (feels a bit floppy compared to ones with) on rough terrain, which will cause furniture to make noise and possibly loosen where it's attached to the body.

Latest posts