Possible Engine Change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunky

Reaction score
Hi all , I'm thinking out loud here but its possible I may need to replace my engine :( , it lost compression on number 3 cylinder on the way to Download festival a week or so back and I don't know what's went wrong as yet , i should find out by the end of this week all going well what's went up the creek...
My options as I see it are at best are get replaced what's went wrong depending on what the issue is and all it's good , worst case scenario is engine replacement which has got me thinking , If I have to replace the engine i was going to go down the route of upgrading to a 1641cc and add twin carbs and a vintage speed exhaust , I was hoping to budget around £3k for parts , what's your thoughts , any recommendations for engines & carb suppliers ??
At the present time I don't really want to replace if I can help it but if needs must I will bite the bullet.

Cheers

Wait and see - losing compression could be many things from the relatively simple through to a new engine.

Last time I fixed a scenario like this, it was just a new valve needed. I used a good spare I had and fixed the engine for essentially free. :_

Clem said:
Wait and see - losing compression could be many things from the relatively simple through to a new engine.

Last time I fixed a scenario like this, it was just a new valve needed. I used a good spare I had and fixed the engine for essentially free. :_

That's the outcome I would prefer at the moment , fingers crossed its a more straight forward fix , it's also made me think about what way to go should I upgrade if it's sooner or later

Check your valve clearances and the operation of the rockers - its how I realised I had a bent valve.

If nothing is apparent there you could always strip the heads off and check the condition of the cylinder/pistons.
Easily done in a day and not too difficult - at this point the standard pistons and barrels could be swapped out for 1641 ones if your after a small increase in power. The cost should be less than £250

As for Carbs - Im running Weber ICT 34's and they are great, however if your feeling flush some Dell 36's would be a great choice. I think both are available from Eurocarb. Around £300 mark I think.

Best to source a VS Exhaust from Dan on here - he has sorted several of us out with good deals.

But without stripping it down a little it will be difficult to diagnose - cant think a whole new engine is the answer though.

As above. Even in a worst case scenario, I rebuilt my 1600 myself with the help of a friend for under £500, including new rings, bearings, valves, oil pump, gaskets etc etc. While we were in there we ported the heads and did a couple of other bits and it runs really well now. :)

Cheers , definitely food for thought , gives me more options than I thought I had , not too mechanically minded but I do try my best lol. The pistons and barrels option is a goer and the carb option I was thinking was the weber ICT 34's.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

If you do decide to go for twin carbs budget for the following too - it adds up :msn4:

Jets to suit your engine - available from Eurocarb
CSP/Twin Carb throttle linkage
Manifolds - tapped for a balance pipe
Fuel pressure regulator - I went for a Malpassi
New fuel hoses and vac pipes
Breather box - old air filter will be removed

Would also be sensible to budget for a rolling road session to get them correctly setup

I completed the conversion myself and detailed the process on my thread if you fancy a read

If you have to go for a new motor speak to me first as I have a motor with eave rethink your looking for ., hope that you can get yours right tho before hand :)

A wee update , so far still to figure out the engine woes , things have been kinda hectic but in the mean time I've ordered some a twin weber ict34 kit & vintage speed exhaust :D and have decided to upgrade to a 1641cc no matter what , you guys have any thoughts on fitting a full flow oil system & deep sump ? thought it wouldn't do any harm for some extra cooling.
Cheers all for the feedback so far

You wont get any more cooling from installing a deep sump - just more hot oil!
Sounds like things are progressing nicely though!

Get some pics up when you upgrade the barrels and fit the carbs!
Gonna be a lovely engine with all the new bits installed

You do know that adding 41cc will make bugger all difference unless you address the heads. I have flow benched stock heads and with a little bit of effort I have seen significant increases in airflow. What I mean is that before jumping on to 1641 B&Ps, look at improving the heads 1st. I have previously posted up mod a flow bench results if you want to search for them.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC251816/vintage-speed-sports-exhaust-system-t2-68-79-std-tail-pipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC1297317/empi-twin-40hpmx-kit-t1-2/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Type_3_Products~Type_3_Engine_Products~Engine_Kits/AC1982027/T1-P-T2-P-T3-P-KG-P-T181_Volksracer_Super_Street_Engine_Kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do need to spend £3000 this maybe be a better option in my opinion.

Been a while since i've been on , A small update , I have decided to go along the 1776cc route , I've ordered a long block from Aircooled Engineering , i'm going to keep my old long block to use as an engine i can work on and learn on myself , I have my 34ict's and vintage speed exhaust at the ready , next thing I'm looking at is an external oil cooler , may as well spend more money while i'm at it :D , what are you all running ? any coolers you guys recommend avoiding , should I go fan assisted or is that a wee bit overkill ?
Thanks again all for the previous feedback.

Did you ever find out why you lost compression in the first place?

Not yet , I've been away a few weeks so it was put in the to do later list , the engine is still to be removed from the van and while I was away I decided I needed more oomph so that's why I opted for an upgrade

You've chosen well with ACE, a friend just spent a decent amount for a brand new turn-key 2110 and is absolutely stoked with it. I'm a bit pissed off I can't keep up, but he's happy...

Latest posts