Possible steering wheel part missing?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
I've taken my steering wheel of to repair the ignition lock and I'm sure there's something missing? Maybe a large spring or washer
Am I going mad or can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks

EarlyBaywindowPartsBook-192.jpg

EarlyBaywindowPartsBook-194.jpg

Thanks reez I have seen this but as I've never stripped my steering column right down I don't know what's missing or not. When u take the steering wheel off can u normally see that large spring underneath ?

shiplee123 said:
Thanks reez I have seen this but as I've never stripped my steering column right down I don't know what's missing or not. When u take the steering wheel off can u normally see that large spring underneath ?

yea you can't miss it. spring on then steering wheel

From looking at the photo your bearing is in there mate, there should then be a spring, then the steering wheel then the washer and then the nut.

If you have play in the column the bearing is now obsolete but bluebirds customs sell a bush, I saw some on e-bay last week I think it's £12

bearing is pushed inside the tube you can see it in the pic. You'd know about it if it wasn't in there as the shaft would slop about everywhere.

stick spring on then steering wheel

Thanks blue nose I appreciate your help I'll hunt around for a spring.
If any one knows of one let me know

Sam , a wealth of knowledge as always , handy bloke to know u r !!!

There's a 2mm bit of play if I wiggle the steering wheel but that's it . Is that acceptable ?

I would except that unless your MOT man says otherwise

I put a brand new bearing in mine and it seems to be a piss fit anyway. Mines new and slops around about 1mm

The guy who works on my bus is a t2 expert.

Shame he has limited time to give me on my bus , maybe once every couple of weeks .
He's left the local garage to work else where .

He's an awesome bloke , I really respect his knowledge !

There's a couple of guys at the local garage who are vintage vehicle friendly so understand the delicate nature of mot ing an old motor!

A few more pushes and maybe I'll b ready for a mot ?

Latest posts