Possibly about to buy a 1970 early bay t2

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camper2012

Reaction score
Hi,

Never had a classic can/van before.

I am about to buy a 1970 t2 camper dormobile which has 9,000 miles on the clock, looks like it has been restored well from the pictures, the ad said that the chassis was in mint condition, but my concern is how do I check this? I thought about getting an AA check done but they don't do it for a van over 15 years old (ha) so is there anything to look out for?

Also I understand this isn't going to be as reliable as previous newer cars I have had, but I am planning on using it as my daily drive, is it going to be being fixed every week or does anyone else use theirs regularly with less problems then I am imagining?

Link to van
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-early-bay-t2-dormobile-right-hand-drive-just-been-fully-restored-tax-free/106729502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

My only bit of advice is to take someone who knows their onions with you when you view it!

Many a buyer has been blinded by shiny paint and a nice interior missing the rotten chassis and filler stuffed body!

StuF said:
My only bit of advice is to take someone who knows their onions with you when you view it!

Many a buyer has been blinded by shiny paint and a nice interior missing the rotten chassis and filler stuffed body!

Thanks for replying - that is what I was thinking, but is there anything I should look out for? I know look underneath, but what are the warning signs that it could be rotten?

Also I notice the seats don't have headrests, are there any seats that will fit the van without any mods?

Hi, why not give kombi klassics a call, ive met one of the guys that owns that garage and he was a top bloke, im sure he would give you some info on the van if he knows it like the advert suggests, just watch out for gumtree, ive heard lots of horror stories about scams on that site,........ go and see the van and ask lots of questions (also take a soft backed fridge magnet and try it all over) see if there is any photos of the resto, so you can see whats been done to it underneath the paint, might sound paranoid but rusty vans cost lots to sort out, thats why so many dry imports are on our roads, engines are cheap to replace really by comparison,.check the vin plate matches the chassis number (right hand side of engine bay) so you dont buy a wrong un,

sorry if you know all this and it sounds a bit negative but its alot of money to lose if you buy the wrong van,

regards..........................kev :D

Looks nice. Too good for a daily driver in my opinion, but each to their own.

camper said:
Also I understand this isn't going to be as reliable as previous newer cars I have had, but I am planning on using it as my daily drive, is it going to be being fixed every week or does anyone else use theirs regularly with less problems then I am imagining?

I use mine pretty much as a daily driver, and it hasn't let me down. It just needs to be maintained well.

They are only as likely to break down as any other older vehicle if looked after. You need to remember that they aren't economical by modern standards about 25 mile/gallon and need regular oil change / service, every 3000ish miles.

Looks good in the photos, and a realistic price for a good one. Do like many before have said, and take it to be checked over by somebody who knows them inside out.

Good luck :D

Andrew

Thanks kev I have e-mailed them asking about it and I agree, I'm hoping to do a straight swap for a BMW 118d worth pretty much the same money.

Also I think I will see what they say, and maybe get a mobile mechanic to meet me there and give it the once over as I really don't want to swap a perfect running bm for a pup!!!

mister said:
camper said:

I use mine pretty much as a daily driver, and it hasn't let me down. It just needs to be maintained well.

They are only as likely to break down as any other older vehicle if looked after. You need to remember that they aren't economical by modern standards about 25 mile/gallon and need regular oil change / service, every 3000ish miles.

Looks good in the photos, and a realistic price for a good one. Do like many before have said, and take it to be checked over by somebody who knows them inside out.

Good luck :D

Andrew

Thanks, I am definitely going to learn how to do everything needed for the upkeep of it, so looking after it shouldn't be an issue! Just got these visions of every journey ending up on an AA truck crying

Looks good in the pics and at least its standard ride height so u can get right under it and have a real good look under it. Good luck.
Chris.

i would swop your mobile mecanic for a pannel beater,mecanics are relativle cheap to rectify after the purchase.a filled up rot box however would cost you thousands to sort .it does look fairly good in the pics but the pics show at least the right front arch has got filler,it could be just a skim and not finished well but it could also be a big gobb of filler filling the grand canyon in.if thats the only bit then it wouldent be a big deal but if the whole van is simler then it might not be such a good deal.

strongy said:
i would swop your mobile mecanic for a pannel beater,mecanics are relativle cheap to rectify after the purchase.a filled up rot box however would cost you thousands to sort .it does look fairly good in the pics but the pics show at least the right front arch has got filler,it could be just a skim and not finished well but it could also be a big gobb of filler filling the grand canyon in.if thats the only bit then it wouldent be a big deal but if the whole van is simler then it might not be such a good deal.

Ok mate thanks for the tip, I understand what your saying, I have emailed the place that serviced it to see if I can get any background on it.

Don't forget to do a HPI check. Being a classic I think people forget this and I was nearly caught out with buying a bus, but did a HPI and something fishy came up which was then confirmed by it being a scam.

Agree with whats already been said
Also take a torch to see into all the little dark places. Dont be afraid to lift carpets or mat to see whats hidden underneath

I use my bus as my everyday drive and have had only a few minor problems one being its love of petrol stations :lol:

Thanks guys

Kombi kampers are going to inspect it before I purchase, HPI check came back all clear, and I have heard they are juicy! What kind of MPG can I expect? I have heard 20?

Yes they are juicy. To make it more interesting my fuel gauge doesn't work, so I just assume its always nearly empty. Expect 20mpg, anything more is a bonus. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't use it as a daily.

I've seen some more since this one now sober sticking with the early bays!

My current car only £30 tax a year !

Latest posts