Pretty ugly cross over resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satinoval

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We are about to become owners of our first VW bus in the next few days, Im originally from the UK but moved to Melbourne 18 months ago and always wanted to drive a van around australia, so the dream is coming a little bit closer.

A friend of ours found the van on a for sale page on facebook where the guy was open to offers, she sent us a photo, viewed it, took some more photos and gave us a call for go ahead, costing us about 400 quid for the van we had to say yes.. Its being picked up on Saturday and we get to see it next Wednesday and fully asses its damage.

Vans are going for a premium over here now that everyone has imported the good ones to the UK!

at first inspection the front lower section needs doing as does the front passenger side chassis leg, bottom of the sliding door and theres some rust showing on the bottom of the front doors too.

First photo we got sent:

Looks like the hippies ran over this guy

barney.jpg

Classic rear end full of junk photo

gutted when we opened this photo and realised it was a cross over - we had everything crossed for small lights

the bad side

Interior has seen better days

passenger side rot

Plans are to get all the welding done and standard service up to road worthy condition and get it registered.

will probably be quite slow to start with but summer is coming fast and we should get some great days work on with it, going to scrub back the paint and give it a temporary coat to freshen it up.

shame as we have been planning to ship my car over from the UK next year so money is going to be super tight for both.

will be the perfect couple when the beetle is over here too :)

Looks like you have your work cut out with that one - good luck.

Oh - like the beetle - what's the spec with it then?

Yeah looks like a lot of work but not too afraid of rust after the beetle.

its an oval window on a 64 chassis, full roll cage, rust free resto. bought a 64 when I was 17, it needed restoring and the oval body came up already media blasted with a nos front quarter to go on it for 400 quid so couldnt say no to that.

hopefully this bus isnt too much of a wreck but nothing a good session on the welder wont fix :)

oval build thread is still up on VZi http://volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?s=8e5b70e14ed62904c23f19df5cbcdcd3&t=519136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey mate,

Welcome aboard, and welcome abroad. I too am in Melbourne at the moment, where abouts are you? I'm in Port Melbourne. I've been looking at vw's too since moving over and will agree with the prices.

Good luck, and if you need a hand with anything just give me a bell on here or on aussieveedubbers (username: PorscheKombi)

Down in mornington dude. Its beautiful out here. There are still bargains to be had. Hopefully this one doesn't damage the pocket too hard as all the work will be done at home. :)

Hi mate, we're in Melbourne to, I've got a 72 lowlight Dormobile, will be heading down to mornington for weekends away if summer ever rolls around!

Assume you've checked out kombi club by now, couple of guys based in Melbourne who do work on interiors, I think 'necro' is pretty highly regarded.

Good luck with the resto, looks like she'll be a big job!!

Not checked out Kombi Club yet dude, will get on that now..

Lost a little faith with clubs over the years, and aussieveedubbers just doesnt cut it for me, lots of assholes with opinions. Id rather a bunch of blokes that are in it for the laugh and the love :)

Looking at building our own interior for it. Been looking for inspiration but thats the girlfriends department, she can design I will build.. she gets the colour choice too and has fallen in love with velvet green off the earlier split windows, id rather it be UPS Brown myself :)

They're pretty good on the kombi club, it's a forum not a club as such and it's more advice than opinions! They seem to be an older bunch so are less interested in custom kombis as they seem to be on here. Great for technical advice though.

I got my interior cabinets from a guy from Preston who lives on the Gold Coast, cost just over a grand in $$$'s thought about doing it myself but just didn't have the time.

Here's the link to my van 'resto' so far ..... Still a work in progress but at least we'll have a good camper for this summer!

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?46346-1972-Dormobile-Interior-Resto-Build&highlight=Dormobile+interior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if you need anymore info, got a few pointers now from doing mine

They're pretty good on the kombi club, it's a forum not a club as such and it's more advice than opinions! They seem to be an older bunch so are less interested in custom kombis as they seem to be on here. Great for technical advice though.

I got my interior cabinets from a guy from Preston who lives on the Gold Coast, cost just over a grand in $$$'s thought about doing it myself but just didn't have the time.

Here's the link to my van 'resto' so far ..... Still a work in progress but at least we'll have a good camper for this summer!

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?46346-1972-Dormobile-Interior-Resto-Build&highlight=Dormobile+interior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if you need anymore info, got a few pointers now from doing mine

So today is the day it got collected

Loading onto the trailer:

loading_zps811c294e.jpg

all up and ready to go

onourway_zps7c538c4a.jpg

arty photo of it on the road

enroute_zps79e3bf9f.jpg

Pretty excited to go an see it next wednesday for the first time assess the rust and start the long planning process for a speedy resto

Latest posts