Previous owners

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobie

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
My bus has had 11 previous owners and I’m trying to find them particularly the first own from 1972

My reg is DAF 129K I know it was first registered in Cornwall

Any ideas where to start

Lobie

Hi Lobie.

You have to start with the recent info first so previous owner , make contact perhaps look on Facebook if they have pictures have a look through there could be one of them picking up it might offer a clue perhaps a name.

As the bus was from Cornwall try contacting some of the local VW clubs down there somebody might remember it .

If it was around the VW scene then old magazines could be worth a look .

I typed in your DAF reg into google and a number of potential connections came up in images, perhaps a picture of yours lower down although the reg is not clear, also other VW,s with DAF reg numbers , make contact with them a beetle on there perhaps could link you to the dealer who sold them at the time.

It takes time but could be well worth the effort and rewarding for you when discover that little bit of info.

I have recently done it with mine and actually got to chat to a previous owner out in California.

Good luck in your quest in finding your Vamily tree ;)

Cheers Al

You used to be able to apply to the DVLA for a list of previous owners. I did it for our bay and my Ghia and in both cases received an envelope full of scrubby photocopied documents that at least provided a time line with the name and the addresses at the time of the registration handover as a starting point. There was a charge for it but I don't remember it being crazy but you need to have a 'valid reason' to apply for the information. I just stated that it was a classic vehicle and I was researching the history.

That was a few years ago (10 ? ) so I guess the DVLA may have tightened up on providing the name and contact details of previous owners for anybody that asks (as they should!) particularly in the current climate of data security, but it would be worth investigating whether it's still a possibility.

I applied for the history of 20 previous owners in 2016.
Took a good few weeks but only cost £5. About an inch thick pack came through with all old v5s etc. Best fiver I have spent on the van!

MartyMcFly said:
I applied for the history of 20 previous owners in 2016.
Took a good few weeks but only cost £5. About an inch thick pack came through with all old v5s etc. Best fiver I have spent on the van!

The DVLA won't issue the information now due to the change in data protection rules.

Shame about that.
Previous owners all seemed happy to hear from me.

I understand why they are reluctant to share information, but I think most of us on here would be happy for new owners to get in contact.

Would it be possible for the DVLA to divulge the areas in which it was registered on changeover of keepers not too bothered about names of owners, only what part of country it may have been in.

Latest posts