Problem with door handle mechanism

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdog

Reaction score
Can anyone help please?
My passenger door handle seems to have broken. The locking mechanism itself works fine, but the bit behind the handle you squeeze to open the door no longer works, ie no squeeze (you can tell I'm not technical as I can't even put it into words!) The door can still be opened from inside. I'm guessing there must be a spring somewhere in the handle or mechanism that might be replaceable-but I haven't the first clue where or how to check! :roll:
Any help gratefully received...cheers

It'll be that peskie little spring...click link for pics & how to fix

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42921&p=359271&hilit=door+lock#p359271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right-that's great cheers!
Another stupid question now-how do I get to that spring in order to replace it? Does it mean removing the door card, and if so any top tips on how to do that! Did I mention I'm clueless!

Yes the door card will have to come off. You'll need to unscrew and take off all the odds and sods on the door card eg handle, door pull, speaker etc. Then the door card will pop off around the edges, use a flat blunt object to prize off the clips. I'm pretty sure the lock is removed via some screws on the end of the door.

I'm pretty sure someone has posted a load of pics and a 'how to' for this. I'll try and find a link.

Ross.

Not the one I was looking for but should still help

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54107&p=502466&hilit=Door+lock+Spring#p502466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To take the lock out you will also need to remove the window seal channel from the inside once the door card is off.

Its a pretty fiddly job to be honest, I fixed mine while the windows were out of the doors .

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies & the link-excellent help.
I've ordered the replacement spring and will have a go when it arrives-what could possibly go wrong!!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts