problems with starting, any ideas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakey666

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am having trouble starting my bus. I came to start my bus, the engine turns over, but did not fire. I have replaced the ignition switch, coil, condensor, points, plugs, distributor cap, HT leads. Now when trying to start, engine is turning over but when I depress the accelerator pedal to start, the carburetor makes a popping noise.
Anyone have any ideas, please??
Regards
Cakey

Hi mate you have your leads the wrong way round 180 deg out buy the sound of it . As a basic check get tdc and look at the position of the rotor arm it should be pointing to the No 1 lead ( No 1 Being your Back right plug). firing order is 1-4-3-2 so set your leads up accordingly
If it still pops then swap 1 and 3 and 4 and 2 around my engine is a performance engine and it set up 180 out on the dissy ??? dont ask me why

good luck

Oslo_mark69 said:
my engine is a performance engine and it set up 180 out on the dissy ??? dont ask me why

good luck

Probably the dizzy driveshaft was re-inserted the wrong way round, also some vw dizzys came from the factory with the #1 timing mark 90 degrees anticlockwise of where all the books tell you it should be (my 72s original dizzy is like this).

Thank you all for your tips.
Changing the leads over worked for the first time, however when I assembled ignition barrell again and re-tried, engine only turning over now and not running again. Having left engine turned off and wondering what to try next I noticed the fuel level in the fuel filter dropping, this has never happened before.
Any suggestions?
Regards
Cakey

To check you have good fuel supply take the pipe off the carb and have an assistant crank the engine over while you hold the pipe (still connected to fuel pump) into a jar and you should have some good squirts of fuel as its cranked. Sometimes the diaphragms go in the pump so that very little fuel comes through. Or else make sure you don't have an electrical problem, with the ignition on do you have 12v at the coil? Can you hold a plug lead near the block and get a good spark from it when cranking engine over?

does you oil level rise at all? if so another idea your fuel pump is on its way out, as fuel will leak into the oil

but a mate of mine had this problem with his till he found the ignition switch to be at fault,he has to crank it over then slowly bring the key back a bit then it fires up you could try hot wiring it to see if that works

When checking " if I have 12V at the coil" where do I put my volt meter to check this.
I am a little bit of a novice when looking at the electrics as its not one of my strong points.
Please help :?: :?:
Regards
Cakey666

cakey666 said:
When checking " if I have 12V at the coil" where do I put my volt meter to check this.
I am a little bit of a novice when looking at the electrics as its not one of my strong points.
Please help :?: :?:
Regards
Cakey666

Ok there is two spade connectors on the coil, one is the 12v and the other goes to the points (usually a green wire). The 12v wire will also go on to power the fuel cutoff solenoid and choke both on the carb. Once you have established a 12v supply the coil can only work when the points open and close causing the coil to make a spark down the ht lead, so you should make sure the points are opening correctly too.

Hi all
tried starting van tonight, it started first turn, however, it spluttered and cut out. tried to rev it before cutting out but just died on me???
Help :?: :?:
regards
Cakey

Take the air filter off, disconnect the throttle return spring, looking at the carb from the top down there are 5 flat blade screws. Take these off and remove the top of the carb. Is there fuel in the float bowl? It should be full to the top. If not check your pump operation and check the lines are clear. If there is any crap in the float bowl you might have a blocked jet.

Revving and it dying could also be a flat spot so double check your points gap and timing.

Latest posts