pro's and cons of different suspension setups

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacks906 said:
I ment the coilover shocks they supply sorry
Or coil assist ones what ever you want to call them
an i cannot tell the difference between my setup an a totally standard bus which driven both
fact
That sounds interesting mate ,every slammed bus ive been in including my own has suffered with ride quality,i thought that was the norm and the price we pay for going low :? :?

Shouldn't if done right as you've not changed anything

springs are the same
Angle of joints
etc are all the same

Nothing has been changed so you should not notice any difference

Glad to finally get to see your bumpstop mod Zed! :D
Been thinking about something similar but using a longer bumpstop (one of the bolt on ones). Trouble is that really need something like Beaulieu so can have a rummage around and see lots to work out which one looks right.

Ours rides lovely though. Will agree not just like stock - it's a tiny bit firmer with the coilovers but that's ok by me as find stock too soft anyway. Certainly still comfier than most standard moderns 8)

Geeze said:
Glad to finally get to see your bumpstop mod Zed! :D
Been thinking about something similar but using a longer bumpstop (one of the bolt on ones). Trouble is that really need something like Beaulieu so can have a rummage around and see lots to work out which one looks right.

Ours rides lovely though. Will agree not just like stock - it's a tiny bit firmer with the coilovers but that's ok by me as find stock too soft anyway. Certainly still comfier than most standard moderns 8)
The problem I could see with longer stops is this:
They have to catch the trailing arm when it's hardly move compared to stock and will therefore hit them at an angle - I suspected they'd snap off so went for the angled/offset spacers to help line them up better.

All the coilover buses I have experienced - not that many TBH - have been really harsh. Kind of defeats the idea of the dropped spindles? Might as well have just bunged (cheaper) adjusters on?

jacks906 said:

springs are the same
Angle of joints
etc are all the same

not meaning to offend anyone...............but
you have changed your
tyres - and they make a huge difference to the ride quality
Shocks - T2D coilies are bugpack/empi ones just painted and are crap - adjusted up they are massively oversprung

suffice to say in my opinion the ride was effected enough for me to unbolt the whole lot and sell em and go back to standard.
The question I asked myself was ' What are the disadvantages of stock suspension?'
Answer 'A bit wallowy on the motorway and doesnt look cool'
can anyone add to this??

But i can honestly say its better than standard
tried it not narrowed - rubbish
no dropped spindle - rubbish, harsh
tried slammed shocks - rubbish hits the floor all the time
tried them white shocks - sit rubbish
tried the yellow adjustable damping ones - an rubbish ride an harsh again

only things worked for me in creative narrowed beam, transporterhaus dropped spindle, T2D coilassist shocks an 165/60r14 tires,
An its the only setup I've had that is like standard, comparing to driving 3 different stock busses

i suppose maybe the narrowing of the leaves an the coilassist shocks counter act the springyness you mention you get from the shocks.. but i dunno may just be me :-\

What was funny at the Big Sunday show when being judged by Martin Dorey he commented on my bus being lowered :shock:
I laughed as I was in it at the time, I'm a ex second row forward so if your 16st no need to lower you just got to sit in it all the time. :lol:

terrier man said:
What was funny at the Big Sunday show when being judged by Martin Dorey he commented on my bus being lowered :shock:
I laughed as I was in it at the time, I'm a ex second row forward so if your 16st no need to lower you just got to sit in it all the time. :lol:
:lol:

r73 said:
jacks906 said:

springs are the same
Angle of joints
etc are all the same

not meaning to offend anyone...............but
you have changed your
tyres - and they make a huge difference to the ride quality
Shocks - T2D coilies are bugpack/empi ones just painted and are crap - adjusted up they are massively oversprung

suffice to say in my opinion the ride was effected enough for me to unbolt the whole lot and sell em and go back to standard.
The question I asked myself was ' What are the disadvantages of stock suspension?'
Answer 'A bit wallowy on the motorway and doesnt look cool'
can anyone add to this??
Nope - that's about it, and probably no less wallowy on the Mway TBH. If it is any better, prob down to the new shocks that generally get replaced while lowering, and all the other standard parts that also get renewed at the same time - ball joints, track rod ends etc.

Lowering is for looks only IMHO - that's why I did it pure and simple and I expected a whole heap of teething trouble along the way which I got. The rest is justification to the missus on spending the cash innit.:) I can say this out loud, being in middle of divorce. :)

If it's handling you want, uprate the ARB and get some gas shocks? Won't look 8) though...

It's lowered because it looks good! :lol: Matter of personal taste, like nosedown or sitting level.
But it shouldn't mean that it rides and handles like kak. Is no excuse because done properly it shouldn't do.

Have the cheap everyone sells 'em coilovers that probably fell of the back of a honda C90. They're not horribly stiff, doing the sums (I know, geek :roll: ) the springs work out about 65lb and sit at about 100lb effective at ride height so hardly track spec 600s! My main issue with them is their a bit under damped and the stock bushes aren't much cop...

Geeze, excuse my ignorance, but is yours a fully loaded family camper with a pop-top and the works? This is always going to be a hard nut to crack really low. When you have 2" before the tyre hits the arch and it goes down an inch just because you and the missus get in the front, there's not much room for suspension travel. If yours rides comfortably you have done well.

It's easier for me being single (ahhh) in a pretty much empty tin top so I get away without coilovers and really do have the same ride as standard, until I hit a deep dip in the road. It used to rub then, now it hits my cheapy bump stops. Easy and sorted.

TBH if I had the full family camper scenario, I'd stick at 1 spline and less whine (from the passenger seat). I do admire you EBer's who get these really low and still cram all the gear in - or is that why many have point-of-having-a-bus-defeating trailers? Maybe a car and a caravan would be more practical? And a slammed tintop for fun. :lol: I'm going to get flak for that!

sparkywig said:
For me the reason for the trailer is I've got a teenage daughter.....
Never had one, but my mate had 3 teenage daughters and no trailer... - poor excuse Sparkers. ;)

I had WW dropped spindles and adjusters up front with shortened dampers and a two spline drop with heavily notched springplates at the rear. Needless to say the ride was bloody awful but it did look cool! It would scrape on the floor just by looking at an uneven road surface. I wanted the van usable and comfy but still looking cool so I ended up (with advice from Clem) selling the WW spindles, replacing with stock, replacing the dampers with stock and just relying on gentle lowering from the beam adjuster at the front, one spline at the back on a stock springplate and it's a fantastic ride, looks cool and it perfectly usable. Cost about £150 quid too :D
I've since driven and tested pretty much most combinations, some costing 2k others not so much because I'd also like to go lower to look cooler, but in all honestly nothing's yet changed my mind or compares to my ride. :D
Personally I'd never pay that sort of money (T2D) to get rattled about in the cab Like a marble but it's all about taste and if aesthetics are what matter to you and not ride quality then spend spend spend. But if usability is what matters then go half cool and remain sane when driving! :mrgreen:

Merlydog said:
I had WW dropped spindles and adjusters up front with shortened dampers and a two spline drop with heavily notched springplates at the rear. Needless to say the ride was bloody awful but it did look cool! It would scrape on the floor just by looking at an uneven road surface. I wanted the van usable and comfy but still looking cool so I ended up (with advice from Clem) selling the WW spindles, replacing with stock, replacing the dampers with stock and just relying on gentle lowering from the beam adjuster at the front, one spline at the back on a stock springplate and it's a fantastic ride, looks cool and it perfectly usable. Cost about £150 quid too :D
I've since driven and tested pretty much most combinations, some costing 2k others not so much because I'd also like to go lower to look cooler, but in all honestly nothing's yet changed my mind or compares to my ride. :D
Personally I'd never pay that sort of money (T2D) to get rattled about in the cab Like a marble but it's all about taste and if aesthetics are what matter to you and not ride quality then spend spend spend. But if usability is what matters then go half cool and remain sane when driving! :mrgreen:

Agree entirely. Although if I had the money I would consider the red 9 wishbone set up 8)

r73 said:
Agree entirely. Although if I had the money I would consider the red 9 wishbone set up 8)

I too have tried most settups, although I found that the WW spindles were great but the drop wasnt enough for me at around 2.5". I then tried the Red9 EZ rider 2-4" kit coupled with the WW spindles, and this ran well too, tho I did get rubbage due to wanting the OG section tyres, so could have done with about another 10mm raise to eliminate it completely. However I then upgraded the engine so discs were in order...........so the Wishbone kit then became an affordable option for me, including disc brakes, steering rack and fully adjustable suspension, bearing in mind a CSP kit is/was around £1000. I fitted this last year and havnt looked back. The beauty for me is that when I get bored and change the wheel/tyre combo its just a quick spanner job to raise/lower and get the stance right. Currently running it on the 2nd fixing down (out of 4) and the coils are in roughly the middle, this with 165/50/15 front tyres. I used it this weekend loaded up and didnt rub once 8)

Just

well well... I'm away for a couple of days and lots have people have put their thoughts down :) cheers guys.

it appears that there are a few mixed views on dropped spindles and adjusters.

it appears that my current setup will not be a sustainable option as there is currently not enough clearance between the tyre and the outer wheel arch for my to fit my finger!!! not sure whether the suspension has settled now I have done some miles in the bus, but its a fact that it doesnt matter which suspension solution I choose, any suspension travel will cause some rubbing when i hit a bump.

i am thinking about either juice or the double wishbone. the juice will give me the stationary/parkup ride height i want to achieve, with i presume the sacrifice of upgraded handling. conversely, the wishbone setup would give me much better handling with some sacrifice over the look, unless the wishone and wheel offset will miss the outer arch

Nafe i don't get any rubbing but not as low as i'd like but I'm on 18s and handles like a 911 ;)
Glad to see your on the road mate, maybe you need to change your Sig now?

Hey Neil, long time!

ye on the road. done 500miles now :) still got a little hesitation on engine between 1800-2500. it did go when i put some fuel cleaner but its come back again. i'm waiting for fuel filter to arrive - hoping its that.

i know you have awesome upgrades on your suspension, but will those 18's fit on the back with standard suspension? would you recommend any systems?

EDIT: when are you going to be making your suspension setup for the general public :)

The Red9 wishbone is based around a split beam, so even with wide5 adaptors and discs are still 10mm narrower each side than the bay beam, that will help your offset

Latest posts