pro's and cons of different suspension setups

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
creationblue said:
The Red9 wishbone is based around a split beam, so even with wide5 adaptors and discs are still 10mm narrower each side than the bay beam, that will help your offset

Probably wont help your bank balance tho.......

ZedBed said:
Geeze, excuse my ignorance, but is yours a fully loaded family camper with a pop-top and the works? This is always going to be a hard nut to crack really low. When you have 2" before the tyre hits the arch and it goes down an inch just because you and the missus get in the front, there's not much room for suspension travel. If yours rides comfortably you have done well.

It's not the full poptop and heavy roof bed - ex-Deluxe tintop with camper interior, so a sort of midweight!
Everything is beautiful until it's fully laden and it's only then it's a problem. But equally, with the amount of tat, erm, camping goodness that we take with us it's got a hugely different weight to be dealing with :|
Been thinking lately that the solution is probably airshocks so that could easily increase the assisted spring rate at the touch of a button when need to and run them softer when it's just a day trip 8) . Seems to work well for mychatype3 not to mention that air is how many hgv's cope with loaded v unladen too.....

Haveacamper said:
Just,

i do like the stance you have with the wishbone setup! do your wheels clear the outer arches? they dont look as if the do. if they dont, how much clearance do you have between the tyre and the outer arch?

They do clear, when the suspension is compressed it archs up on a radius and missed the outter lip giving plenty of room before hitting the tub, notice I havnt gone the extra inch lower to take into account the weight when loaded up, hit a bloody big dip this weekend at speed and braced myself...........still no contact :D

Here are a few pics

001-23.jpg

002-28.jpg

003-28.jpg

004-24.jpg

005-21.jpg

006-20.jpg

The American Eagle is an unfriendly ET13, so you can get an idea of the narrowness of the settup ( a standard steel is in the mid 30s)

Just

My tyres are a lot closer the the roof of the outer arches than yours. The track width is probably the same as yours but ur bus is higher.

Thanks for the pictures. Any way of getting measurements (approx.) Of the distance between your tyre and the roof of your outer arch.

I will take some pics of mine tomorrow to show you how close mine is

Nafe

On closer inspection the outter lip rises at 45degrees to the tub top, the measurments below are:

this is the outer lip, the tyre misses this

007-19.jpg

This is on the 45deg area where im guessing the edge of the tyre will hit

008-17.jpg

This is the tub

009-16.jpg

Just

EDIT: right picture would help!

I run Red9 wishbone, hi-spec 4 pot discs and wide 5 adapter plate. It sits the same as I had it with adjusters on the front.

The old ride was not great by modern standards but certainly drivable, big bumps used to slam a little through the cab and the steering box on last legs and wandered all over the place, drums all round were fine with no kit or people and the journey short but load up and drive for a few hours and the legs certainly got tired and the stopping distance extended.

With the Red9 setup the ride is without question smoother and more comfortable. It does bottom out occasionally but this is normally at the extremes such as multi-storey car parks on hard lock heading down ramps with kit onboard. I would not want to go lower than I have, but I have not tried to raise the height of the Red9 rack and uncompressed the coilovers.

With the brakes I cannot fit stock steelies over the calliper so my plan of going to steels is now abandoned.

Steering is different in that the movement on the steering wheel seems to be more than it used to be for the same amount of steering turn, I am just used to it 6 months later. How the whole steering rack bolts together makes the steering rod a little vulnerable to grounding out, I had Beetlelink look at it and they strengthened up the grub screw connection by bolting through the bar. But... I can drive down the motorway straight as an arrow, no wandering at all...

2011-12-15_15-33-21_222.jpg

This is the stance.

2012-03-31_12-16-28_108.jpg

2012-05-05_18-23-27_174.jpg

Nafe mine is to expensive to produce for resale, as you know anything with a porsche badge and that,
to be fair for the money i'd go for the red 9 double wishbone and as creation blue has said should sort
your track width issues out.
Nelly

Haveacamper said:
Humphrey, i'd be interested to see some pics of the ride height etc. what wheels are you running and would you say you track width is as wide as mine or do you miss the outer arches. i was looking at pics of creationblue's bus as he has the wishbone setup too and looks fairly low.

alos, that does appear to be the benefit of the r9d setup a considerable improvement in the steering

As promised...finally (sorry) :

Latest posts