Puzzled over flooring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Seen many threads around covering the cargo floors with diff thickness insulation and ply prior to the final layer.... But I'm still confused! The only decision I have made is to go down the vinyl route for the covering itself.

I've used silent coat deadening mats on the side panels and roof so far and was planning to use on the floor. The guys at the sound deadening shop recommended a product called "dodo pro barrier mlv" as an underlay but it's 8mm thick and I'm conscious of overall floor depth. Do you need to put 2 layers of ply on the floor to level it out? I can hardly see any diff across my cargo floor that requires levelling out (71 microbus).

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/shoddy73/2F7AC326-F097-4ED2-95CC-C94DFC26DC37_zpsz4zjpngc.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, I've not ordered any new interior panels yet. Do you run the floor right up to the side and then the panel sits on top of the flooring?

Cheers for any tips!
Craig

Hi
I lifted my OG westy floor last year. It was in two sheets, one on top of the other. The bottom layer was smaller and thicker, fitted over the ribbed sections of the cargo floor finishing short of the sides where the cargo floor raises, from memory it was about 8-9mm ply to level out the floor. The top layer was thinner with the vinyl bonded to it, about 3mm(?), this went all the way from the left side and stopped where the metal finishing trim would go by the sliding door. Both laters went all the way to the front bulkhead, and stopped short of the rear by about 20cm - though this is because the westy bed has a ply base - guess you could run it all the way.
All the furniture and interiors panel sat on top of the floor.
Your bus doesn't seem to have fixings welded to the floor for seats, so ply might be better than deadening matts so you have something solid to fix to if you need to do this.
Hope this helps.

The stock cargo floor has a kind of raised section around the edge - ie the ribbed flooring is generally a little lower - which is why people pack it out with ply cut to fit the lower ribbed section before covering the whole cargo floor with another sheet.. I've used 6mm ply to cover the ribbed section, then silver bubble insulation, then 6mm ply on top of that and finally a vinyl floor stuck down over the top.

It's more than solid enough for my needs. You'll see some people use 9mm which I imagine is more solid but I had 6mm going spare so used that.

Latest posts