RAC/AA/Green Flag What are your thoughts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're with Autoaid as well as the AA (I think) as part of insurance. Have wondered whether we are covered in the van by Autoaid but am sure I read that they don't cover LHD vehicles - if so no good if that's the case. However they were very good when I needed them for the daily a few years ago. Used to be just over £20 pa. as well!

I know that there's been a lot of AA bashing on this thread, but having blown the motor in the daily recently I really can't fault them.

The engine let go as I was coming off the motorway, so it was on the slip road hard shoulder. Called AA and was told they'd be with me within 45 minutes. Figured, yeah that's what they always say then it will be a van who will say it will need a loader etc and I'd be waiting hours but no, 25 minutes later a contractor with a flat bed turned up (because they couldn't get one of their own trucks there quick enough), winched it on and asked me where I wanted to go. :D

Ok, I was 'only' about 30 miles from home, but in all seriousness, we were dumping it back on the drive about 1.5hrs after I first called. 8)

Waited longer than that just for the first van with the RAC in the past (was a good few years ago though)....

Interesting point about Autoaid not covering LHD vehicles. From their site...
" Unfortunately, to keep our prices competitive, we cannot cover LCVs, pick-ups, minibuses or left-hand drive American cars. "

... I wonder if it covers left-hand drive German cars? I hope so!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I had a blow out yesterday on the way back from bus types, called the AA and they were there within 15 minutes, changed wheel and on i went. M53 near chester. first time i have needed them in 5 years, excellent service

So far the RAC seems to be more favoured, we are heading up to the Outer Hebrides from Paisley this summer and then heading to the Goodwood Revival later in the year so we will be covering a fair amount of miles and did not like the idea that the AA work in zones whereas the RAC would take you all the way to either your home/destination.

I am covered through my Cherished policy with Heritage Insurance (not to be confused with Cherished Vehicle Insurance :? ). Breakdown is included in the cost of the policy (£170 in total).

Used it last autumn when I broke down near Oxford, and was relayed by two trucks, with a change at a services on the M42 before arriving back in Stoke, about 100 miles in total. It took about an hour for the first truck to arrive, the second was waiting for us, and we got home only about an hour or so later than planned. The bus flew up the motorway much quicker on the back of the truck(s) than when under her own steam, and the banter with the driver put London cabbies in the shade. :lol: Plus it was damned cold outside and inside the bus, and snug in the truck.

All in all, a good outcome, and a good advert for the Heritage Insurance package. I have just had my renewal, and it it has shop up...by 3 quid.

I haven't a clue or a care who provides the actual service. :D

With the AA and can't fault them.
Broke down in Dover coming off the ferry a couple of years ago. Took 5 relay changes but next truck was waiting on me at all the appropriate swapover points and they got me back to Dundee after a VERY long night :)

RAC , the guy said I couldn't get on his loader and as I got no towing eye, asked if I minded a chain around the beam , no worries I said rock on, towed us 50 miles like that , even gave us a hand to push it into the garage, worked the brakes a bit but all good , tempting fate that was two years ago due to total engine failure, no dramas since. We run two policy's RAC named driver and classic so a guaranteed get there and back !!

any one had any dealings with aa rac when abroad. who gives the best cover if any .got a quote from aa £160 for two weeks cover had to enter bus reg to get quote. but in small print says they dont cover campers .

Im with RAC inc. European Cover for £195 that inc. £40 Caravan and camping club membership.
AA quoted £245 for same service.
Green Flag wouldn't even look at me as the vehicle is more than 16yrs old :roll:
Not had to use them yet. Big test will be EBI trip to Belgium. Its nice to know I'm covered by apparantly the best.....

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

I am trying the AA this year.

Had a problem with the RAC late last year when my T5 :msn4: broke down. Waited for 3.5 hours for a recovery then got told I was not covered as my van was sign written. Even though it is privately owned and my name and I am self employed! make sure you check this if you are relying on them.

So called on my local Plant Hire Centre who we do maintenance for and they came and towed to me to them in under half an hour. Wish I had called them first.

AA have covered me and my wife in any vehicle, sign written no problem and old VW campers are also included so I am told! ;) :roll:

Broke down near Rouen a few years ago. If you break down on the autoroute you have to phone the police and they organise recovery. I phoned the AA and there was an automated message telling me this. Once I had been recovered to a nearby garage I spoke to the AA again who spoke to the garage to try and get me repaired and up and running. I didn't have to pay for this.Two truck mechanics got me on the road again but only lasted a few miles. Made sure I got off the autoroute and phoned AA again. They sorted a recovery truck to take me to Calais ferry. I was booked on the tunnel but they won't take broken down vehicles. Collected by another truck at Dover but could only take me to Thurrock. Spent the night in a Premier inn and took another 3 recovery trucks to get us home the next day. AA paid for the ferry and the hotel no problem after I sent them the receipts. So after the initial breakdown it took 36 hours and 6 recovery trucks to get home to Carlisle. Character building ! I'm still with the AA by the way :lol:

NoPower-NoResp said:
Interesting point about Autoaid not covering LHD vehicles. From their site...
" Unfortunately, to keep our prices competitive, we cannot cover LCVs, pick-ups, minibuses or left-hand drive American cars. "

... I wonder if it covers left-hand drive German cars? I hope so!

Unfortunately I had to be recovered from London a few weeks ago when my clutch linkage broke. Luckily Autoaid covered me no questions about being LHD :)

I did ten years as a patrol with RAC and to be honest they were a fantastic company who genuinely care for there employees and there customers, I myself got pulled back from cork in Ireland in a split by them, best membership by far in my opinion. Breakdown covers worth it's weight in gold and that's coming from a technician.

Good to hear your views, we took out full breakdown and recovery with RAC so hopefully we will never need it but happy that its there when we might need it.
Just back from a 700mile trip around the Scottish west coast and back down the east coast and old Stan never missed a beat, ok we were struggling in second gear up some mountain roads but hey ho he got there eventually.
Next big trip will be down to the Goodwood Revival in September so fingers crossed we will still not need RAC. :D

Andy

AA for me through insurance cover, we have it on our other car as well and have used them frequently :oops:

My mum and dad called Green Flag in 1977 for a breakdown and they are still waiting for them to arrive :msn4:

:lol: that green flag comment!!

I've used the AA twice recently, other vehicles.

the first a suspected HGF ..... call out arrived in about 40 mins and bang on prediction. then a truck about an hour later.

second a puncture (no jack!!) ..... tyreweld didn't work. initially supposed to be 45 mins but ended up as 90. kept me informed. no coplaints really as it was rush hour friday tea time.

great service both times.

my main issue with them is the cost of renewals and the tedium of having to negotiate.

I have just taken out breakdown cover with Mayday/Green Flag. It is £66 for the year and the big attraction is that they take you to your campsite and then after your holiday they come and pick you up and take you home. I found the details on the back cover of a Caravan club magazine and there is a connection but you don't have to be in the Caravan Club. Also my van is 1972 whereas I understand that Green Flag normally only take vehicles younger than 1988.

RAC for me... I've called them out on both dailies and the camper in the last few years, happy customer on all three counts and continue to be a customer...

Latest posts